PDA

View Full Version : Rifle model ID

Tishadam
02-07-2024, 12:54 PM
Good afternoon all. I currently own a savage 257 Roberts serial # E801902 manufactured in 1981(according to savage) its TBR Stagger feed. I would like to know for sure if this is in fact a model 110? I am looking to modify this for a more ergonomic go to for hunting as it currently has a boat anchor for a stock. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Thank you

Dave Hoback
02-07-2024, 01:35 PM
Your rifle was actually produced in 1987, not 1981, which would have a D letter code. Yes it’s a 110, and should be a 1st Gen Short Action at 4.522” between Action screws. But make sure you check that measurement.

Tishadam
02-08-2024, 09:14 AM
Thanks Dave, I am not positive and will check this weekend. I have measured the screws previously and for some reason I'm thinking its more in the 5"+ but again i could very well be mistaken its been a while. If by chance it does in fact measure in the 5+" range its would just be long action 110 correct? If you don't mind me asking how did you narrow down the year? Best i could get from savage was 81.

PhilC
02-08-2024, 11:24 AM
If you don't mind me asking how did you narrow down the year?
Sticky Topics in this forum directly above your post - Dating Serial Numbers with a Letter Prefix (http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?60032-Dating-Serial-Numbers-with-a-Letter-Prefix)

Dave Hoback
02-08-2024, 12:33 PM
Thanks Dave, I am not positive and will check this weekend. I have measured the screws previously and for some reason I'm thinking its more in the 5"+ but again i could very well be mistaken its been a while. If by chance it does in fact measure in the 5+" range its would just be long action 110 correct? If you don't mind me asking how did you narrow down the year? Best i could get from savage was 81.

As Phil Posted. Although that is only for ‘69+ 110’s. Before this 110’s didn’t use the same serialization numbering and production year was actually identified by a Letter in an Oval stamping on the barrel. (Chart below) I’m surprised Savage couldn’t tell you the proper year. But I guess I shouldn’t be surprised. Perhaps when you said E, the CS person on the phone thought you said D, which with your serial number preceded by a D would be a 1981 production date. So, benefit of the doubt I guess.

Yes, your rifle could very well be a Long Action. It was only 1 year after yours, (1988), when Savage started producing all 110’s, both Long & Shirt Action cartridges, in Long Action Receivers only. This they continued until 1997. Here is another very informative article here I recommend reading. https://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?128-Savage-Action-Lengths

edit: One other thing, it would actually be beneficial for you if it is a Long Action. There are more options for replacement stock. And even more if you wanted to convert to Center Feed. At which point Chassis are available.

Tishadam
02-10-2024, 07:24 AM
Thank you gentleman! You have been a great help! I truly appreciate the information and hopefully can get this tuned up and in the field for the upcoming season. Center feed with a removable mag would be really nice indeed!
Dave is there any vender specifically you would recommend ordering from for stocks/chassis changes?

Dave Hoback
02-10-2024, 10:06 AM
The sites promoted here are a great place to start. Gunshack, Tactical Works Inc. & Northland Shooters Supply are venders we all here are very familiar with. You can find them at the the top of the page under Site Sponsors.