PDA

View Full Version : Powder price increases

Woopig
01-28-2024, 09:21 AM
Anyone hearing the rumors of 30% tariff or whatever you want to call it on powder imports? Also got a new reloading magazine, didn't realize how many brands one company now owns.....can't see this as a good thing.

charlie b
01-28-2024, 10:10 AM
Have not heard about a new 30% tariff, just the ones from years back.

When the Czechoslovak Group bought Vista Outdoors gun products they announced a large hike in prices was coming. I saw one article that implied it was due to tariffs, but, the group has not changed production locations so any tariffs should not change the prices. I suspect they are just adjusting to demand.

Hodgdon raised prices a while back and is still not able to keep up with demand, although some powders are staying on the shelves longer. Hodgdon also mentioned that some powders are not available due to the base product not being available from overseas. Hodgdon does not make the stuff, they just blend stuff made by other mfgs. Most of those mfgs are overseas, like Thales. Only the stuff based on US military surplus, like Win ball powders, is made in the US (Lake City plant).

It is still really just supply and demand. The more people will pay for the product, the more it will cost.

Ernest T
02-09-2024, 11:17 PM
I've noticed Hogdon prices up about $5 a lb at Bass Pro and Cabelas. Alliant has been through the roof for the last year.

charlie b
02-10-2024, 09:10 AM
And seems the Czech deal fell through at the US gov't level. Seems we can sell the firearms mfgs to foreign investors (Colt) but not the ammo folks.

That means Vista will probably raise prices til sales go away just to push the limits.

pdog06
02-10-2024, 07:20 PM
Just received an email from my local store yesterday about Hodgdon going up 30-35%. Have already seen them go up about $5-10 since the new year for a 1-pound bottle.

243LPR
02-12-2024, 11:53 AM
Will never go down. Not in this woke environment.