PDA

View Full Version : Completely eliminated all Bolt Lift effort!

Pages : 1 [2]

Dave Hoback
12-27-2023, 04:22 PM
Rocket, I have one question. Why use an external BAS spacer but also an internal preload shim together? Don’t the two just cancel each other out? Honestly, if there is a problem of light primer strikes, as many are having with the new FP setup, I wonder if just using the Lift Kit with no BAS spacer, or a much thinner spacer is the answer. However, playing with both an internal preload shim & external BAS spacer together just seems redundant to me.

Rocketvapor
12-27-2023, 06:56 PM
My discussion was for the one piece pin/dual spring with the 3 piece thrust washer.
Add up what you have with internal stack. Using the 3 piece thrust washer adds a bunch. A whole bunch.
Measure how much you changed the stack. Decide on how much you want to CHANGE spring tension (the stack) then pick a BAS spacer thickness that gives you a total change you want. Can't just install parts and expect desired results.
Even your mod for the old style adds to the stack and you needed a thin external spacer (until you shaved the BAS).

That's why the external BAS spacer in the first place. The BAS threads seems to WANT about 0.140+" to catch the threads. The 0.200" spacer is WAY TOO MUCH for the 2 piece spring set up. No wonder the lift is reduced.
0.140+" might be too much.
A thin shim inside AND/OR adjusting the BAS spacer gives you 2 options to adjust the stack and thus any change to spring tension you might want.

That's why I said:if you don't balance internal stack length and external BAS spacer thickness you will impact spring tension.

Maybe in picture form

centershot
12-28-2023, 04:20 PM
Were do you buy the thrust bearing? What size is it? I have a single spring.

Rocketvapor
12-28-2023, 04:35 PM
Single piece pin, single spring, with indicator?
I ordered from Desh, https://deshind.com/product/savage-bolt-lift-kit-stainless-for-model-10-110-axis-with-cocking-indicator/ ,
but ended up with 2 thick BAS washers.
Contact them, make sure of the bolt style.

Dave's single point lift kit is likely even better.
Si3N4 hard ball and a Carbide plate.
Probably the lowest friction mod you can find.

centershot
12-31-2023, 09:34 AM
I ordered a kit from Lumley in black but they are on back order.I could always get silver and paint it! LOL. In the meantime, ordered a bolt handle.