PDA

View Full Version : 12FV stock swap

Westie1
12-22-2023, 06:45 PM
About 2yrs ago was able to buy a 12FV in 6.5 Creedmoor from BPS. Only real issue i've had is loading it. I installed a 20moa rail, which partially blocks access to the mag. Lived with it since the range a shoot at has a 1000yd range, and I want to at least try the distance. This past Black Friday, MDT had available their Field Stock for sale for Savage short actions. And no, it is not listed now. My question is this. Savage in the manual says to leave the bolt in place when re-installing the action. MDT says to install with the bolt removed. Will there be any problem, doing as described by MDT ?

pdog06
12-22-2023, 07:28 PM
The actual bolt assembly? Just to make sure we’re on the same page. If so it doesn’t make a difference whether it is in or not. However I almost always have the bolt in the action when mounting it back in the stock. Not really for any reason. Just the way I do it.

Dave Hoback
12-22-2023, 10:10 PM
No difference. Do whichever feels right to you. Nothing is gained nor lost either way.

Westie1
12-23-2023, 12:15 AM
Thanks guys. First stock swap ever. Been primarily a handgunner since the mid '70s. Weight at 11.3lbs, with the MDT stock, is almost the same as with the factory stock. Mounts a Athlon Argos gen2 6-24, with vortex rings and a EGW 20moa rail. Loading is now a lot easier as the MDT takes AICS spec mags.

Fuj'
12-23-2023, 06:13 AM
On a first time new install, it's best to have the bolt assembly removed. The reason for this is
the action screws and their length. More problems have been caused with the front action screw
being too long and hitting the lug. I use MDT on most my builds, and find, I'm always custom
fitting my action screws.....Torque em' up then check before installing the bolt. A dental mirror
is what I use to check the front screw if you can't get a finger in there.

pdog06
12-23-2023, 09:07 AM
Good point

Dave Hoback
12-23-2023, 09:20 AM
Yes, that is a good point. Yes, I do the same. I always custom fit Ti Action screws.