PDA

View Full Version : 4.40" stock ?

Pages : [1] 2

sims5
12-12-2010, 09:00 PM
Looking at 2 different stocks on StockysStocks.com and am a little confused. I realize that I might have to open up the barrel channel to work with my 12fv 22-250.

My question is in regards to work on the pillars being needed.

There is a Varmint thumbhole stock. Long Range Varmint (http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-332/*NEW!*-Long-Range-Varmint/Detail) On this stock it says that pillars need to purchased or taken out of the original stock. I don't really see these in mine. Do you know if the Tundra Deluxe Thumbhole Stock 496 (http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-496/thumbhole-laminated-rifle-stock/Detail) would need anything done with the pillars or would it just be a "drop in" stock. Your help is appreciated. Thanks.

dperk
12-14-2010, 09:50 PM
I have also been looking at the Long range varmint. I did like the Tundra Deluxe, but you'd need to open the barrel channel and probably install pillars. I don't think that one comes with anything other than a hole drilled in the wood for the action bolts. I'd lean towards the LRV since it has the forend for the heavy barrel and has the provisions for the factory savage pillars. For the extra $10 that they charge for the pillars, just get those if you're not sure if you have them or not. A dab of Devcon and your all set in the LRV and you don't have to grind out the barrel channel. I have the LRV on my xmas list :)

sims5
12-14-2010, 09:58 PM
Thinking the same as you and ordered the LRV today. Where do you get the devcon and exactly how are the pillars to be installed?

dperk
12-15-2010, 01:27 PM
I ordered the devcon from Midwayusa.com. They offer it in a large container for bedding a stock and in small tubes.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=970250

The stock is drilled to accept the savage factory pillars. Savage just presses them in. Devcon will glue them in for good since it's a 2-part epoxy. Read up on stock bedding so you understand how the stuff works and how you can use shoe polish on things you don't want to glue in place. I would say to mix up some of the epoxy and dab it onto the spiral grooves of the pillars... then just push them into the stock. I would also put some release agent (shoe polish) on the action and screw it down tight to fully seat the pillars. Then you can probably remove the action and let the epoxy dry, but if you use release, you could leave the action screwed in. Also, you can try to just push the pillars in and screw it down w/o any devcon and see how it works. Savage doesn't glue them in and maybe that is ok on these stocks? I don't have one yet, but I hope to soon. Someone with more experience may have better adivce.... this is my $.02.

just curious what color you got?

sims5
12-15-2010, 02:37 PM
I ordered a brown/brown to match my Savage .22 mag Thanks for the Devcon info. I'll post pics when I get it. I'll probably try the pillars without the Devcon and see if they work.

sims5
12-17-2010, 12:20 PM
Just heard that there was a problem with the ones they had in stock, looks like I'll be waiting 4-6 weeks for the color I want. Might end up going with a Choate Varmint Stock. Didn't really want my 22-250 to be that heavy. Decisions..........Decisions.....

jonbearman
12-17-2010, 02:09 PM
I think the choate is just as heavy,at least mine is.

sims5
12-17-2010, 02:53 PM
My concern is that the Choate varmint is heavier than a varmint laminated thumbhole from stocky's.

dperk
12-17-2010, 08:04 PM
What was the problem? Was in only in your color like something cosmetic?

pdog06
12-17-2010, 08:10 PM
My concern is that the Choate varmint is heavier than a varmint laminated thumbhole from stocky's.

The Choate will be heavier than the thumbhole...

Why dont you look at the new Bobby Hart LRT laminate stocks that Stocky is selling for the centerfeed actions? They are super nice but also do not come with pillars.
They sell the pillars seperate for $9 each, or will install a set for you for $100(I believe it gives you an option online when you order it).

A member here lives across the street from Harts and was checking these out before they actually started selling them for the Savages. He said they were very nicely made and the finish was smooth.

They even have it in stock in the coffee color ;)

http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-LAMINATED-%26-SOLID-WOOD-cln-Other/Categories

sims5
12-17-2010, 08:40 PM
I was notified that the lop was off an 1/2" and the wrong recoil pad was installed. The stocks were being sent back to the factory and would be probably 4-6 weeks till new ones came in in the grey or brown color that I want. They have other colors, which I actually thought about getting and painting. Not sure if painting the laminated would be a good idea or not.

dperk
12-17-2010, 08:56 PM
good to know. I saw a box come to the house that my wife ran off with to hide.... it looked very much like a box for a certain stock I wanted. I hope that issue was only with certain colors then, but I will investigate the issue IF I get one :)

The LRT stock was my 2nd choice, but I wanted a thumbhole. Maybe I'll get a LRT next year.

jgerrington
12-18-2010, 07:52 PM
I have the stockeys LRV and I got the pillars from them. I love the stock. The only complaint was when I tightened down the action screws, the action was slightly canted to the side. I just opened up the pillar holes some with a wood bit and bedded the action center and then bedded the pillars center afterwards. Not a big deal as I had planned on bedding the pillars anyway.

sims5
12-18-2010, 08:05 PM
jgerrington,
Your rifle which looks very nice. What length barrel is on your rifle? How heavy is the entire rifle? Thanks

Jamie
12-19-2010, 09:22 AM
Not sure about those exact ones but I did order the Hart Long Range stock from them along with their steel pillars. The stock was the plum high gloss and was perfect. It was also set up so that their steel pillars were a drop in. I haven't had time to bed the action yet but it seems to be a very nice stock with minimum work needed.

http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-502/*NEW%21*-Bobby-Hart-Long/Detail

pdog06
12-19-2010, 03:09 PM
Got any pics of your gun with that stock on it Jamie? I have been considering getting one of them and would like to see one on a Savage.

Jamie
12-20-2010, 09:24 AM
Not yet. I have been working extremely long days. I recieved it Friday and was able to get pillars in Sat night. Maybe have time this week to sand the inside and open up the channel. They seem to be cut for varmint taper. I think it will work just fine. The plum is closer to black cherry than purple.

jgerrington
12-22-2010, 06:26 PM
sims5,

I got a 26inch varmint contour barrel. Not sure the weight as I don't have a scale. It is my heaviest rifle. I got the factory 112bvss in 25-06 (10.25lbs without scope) and compared to that it is maybe 1 pound more

sims5
12-22-2010, 06:37 PM
Is the varmint contour the same as the heavy barrel on my 12fv?

Jamie
12-23-2010, 08:15 AM
Yes they should be the same.