PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! Muzzle Brake

6ARC
12-20-2023, 12:41 PM
I have a Savage 110 Switchback in 6mmARC and I want to remove the muzzle brake; it almost seems to be welded on and I can't budge it one bit. Should I try heating the brake incase it was put on with locktite?

Dave Hoback
12-20-2023, 12:55 PM
Yes, there are many reports of them being on incredibly tight. Heating may help. What method are you using to attempt removal? How are you securing the barrel? A barrel vice would provide optimum holding. Held close to the joint between barrel and Brake. Then either a clamp wrench or a thin enough rod like a screwdriver, to go through the holes in the brake, (again, closest to the Barrel/Brake joint) and use it to loosen the Brake.

6ARC
12-20-2023, 02:17 PM
Actually a large Allen Wrench fits in the Brake but I can't budge it at all. I'm going to try to lock the barrel in a bench vise, close to the Brake and well padded and give that a try. That way the only torque force will be at the muzzle end of the barrel.

Dave Hoback
12-20-2023, 06:08 PM
I would recommend getting a set of these. They will provide a tremendous amount of holding power over just flat vice jaws. https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Barrel-Vise-Pads-Channel/dp/B00ILWMOM6/ref=sr_1_8?crid=1FYZUW08MO1VR&keywords=barrel+vise&qid=1703109439&sprefix=barrel+vice%2Caps%2C110&sr=8-8

And if a large Allen wrench works, good. But remember, leverage is your friend! “Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world.” -Archimedes
Use a pipe or something longer on the end of the Allen. One thing I do to extend Allens for leverage, use the appropriate size socket of the Allen and a long extension if you have ‘em. But, obviously anything will work.

efm77
12-21-2023, 09:16 AM
Soak it liberally in penetrating oil too along with the above recommendations. PB Blaster works wonders.