PDA

View Full Version : bolt rifle question

bossstrick
12-12-2010, 08:50 PM
Hi, I am new to the savage group and would like to ask if anyone has any experiance with the 22-250 caliber, model 16fhss. Was considering a new rifle and this one seemed to fit the bill. Maybe the new axis model would be great also. Any info would be great.

gge515
12-12-2010, 09:01 PM
I've got the same model in 257 Roberts. It has been extremely accurate right out of the box. It is nice and light at 6 1/2 lbs and the black stock and stainless bbl make it a great looking rifle. It really like the accutrigger.

82boy
12-12-2010, 09:18 PM
Welcome to the site.
I have had a lot of experience with Savage rifles in 22/250, and I would say that it would be one of the best choice a person could make. I had a Axis (Then called the Edge) in 22/250 the gun shoot good, but it was a far cry away from the quality of the standard Savage/Stevens rifles. The Axis is a good truck gun if you want a rifle that will get beat around, and you don't want something worth caring about. If you want a precision rifle, that can be adapted to grow with you if you decide to make changes then the Savage/Stevens is a FAR better fit.

The 16fhss has the accu-stock, and I am not a big fan of this feature. If you would ever want to change stocks down the rode it would present a bit of problem. The 16FHSS is a good field hunting gun, but if you are not planing in carring it all day long I would look into the varmint barreled rifles. The accu-stock gun such as the 16FHSS has such a high price tag on them you can get a Varmint rifle for the same price or less money. I found that the accu-stock guns have a slightly better stock than a standard plastic stock but they still flex. You can get a 12FVSS for almost the same cost as the 16FHSS, and come out with a better gun. IMO

bossstrick
12-12-2010, 10:31 PM
yea, good points. I was sort of leaning towards the 16 series due to the fact I would be toting it through the Pa. mountains for the whole day at times.I am wise enough to realize that where you gain one thing you give something somewhere else. The heavy barrell would most likely increase accuracy, but I would not want the extra weight on my shoulder all day. I guess I'm looking for a quality, accurate "hybrid" rifle. So the assumption I see is the accutrigger is working out well, while the accustock may still need some help?

82boy
12-12-2010, 10:46 PM
So the assumption I see is the accutrigger is working out well, while the accustock may still need some help?

Yes, for the most part. Accu-trigger is a good factory trigger. The accu-stock is OK, but if they would keep cost down for it I would recamend it. I thought the 10PC was an excelant hunting rifle. You may want to look at the 10 predator hunter, I love the way this gun is balanced with a slightly heavier barrel. It doesn't have the accu-stock, but you could change to something else, I am fond of the HS precision stocks.