PDA

View Full Version : Savage 99: Model 99 Rear Sight Question

docsporseen
12-12-2010, 06:54 PM
Good afternoon! This is my first post on here, and of course it's a question. I just picked up a Model 99 (S/N 574xxx) from a friend. I think it's an "R" (Correct me if I'm wrong) in .300 Savage. It has a Redfield tang sight with a broken elevation screw (snapped off in the middle of the threaded section), which I'm looking to replace with a flip-up sight on the barrel since it has what looks like a dovetail sight mount machined in. The problem is, I can't find either sight for the R designation. Does anyone have any suggestions for where to find either parts for the Redfield, a replacement tang sight, or a "barrel mounted" sight for the R? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

Eric in NC
12-13-2010, 06:31 PM
Any sight that fits your size dovetail (from Marble's etc.) will work (like this one) -

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=365177

As far as which height to get, there is a calculator/chart on the Brownell's site (may be one on Midway's too).

For the screw, I would just get a piece of threaded screw the appropriate size, cut it to the right length and put a knob on it (your existing one if you can get it off, or make one).

Don't know of any source for Redfield sight spares (other than junk boxes at gun shows etc.).

docsporseen
12-13-2010, 08:41 PM
I ordered a laddered sight like the one on my old Win 94. Should fit. Have to get a drift punch that'll work, but I'd also like to resuscitate the original tang site. May need to start visiting some local shows.

jam23
12-22-2010, 08:57 PM
this informative, I also have this problem ser. 571xxxx need the same repair, glad I joined the website, thanks.