PDA

View Full Version : Another 6gt group today

wywindsor
12-12-2023, 12:53 AM
Went to the range today after work. Wind was 10 to 12 cross left to right. The load is 34gr varget, berger 105 at 2.5 inches OAL. 29?? as I don't remember the last numbers. I thought the barrel might need more break in so no real effort put into the reloads. I bought a new sightron 10x50x56 scope. 4 shots to sight in and the next 6 looked like this. Not sure I can shoot any better so I may just enjoy.

wywindsor
12-12-2023, 12:57 AM
Dang it Wrong pics. Just the tape one and this one tonight.

charlie b
12-12-2023, 09:59 AM
Nice.

I know I am going to have a bad day at the range when my first shot looks like the one on the bottom. :)

When my last shot looks like that I've usually had a great day.

Dave Hoback
12-12-2023, 10:42 AM
Excellent. Glad she’s working well for you.

wywindsor
12-12-2023, 07:58 PM
I'm sure I was lucky on the barrel install for the first time. I used a 4D rental go gauge. I also used the go gauge with scotch tape as a no go. The barrel is a criterion 28''. The brass is from GAP and so was the load. For the gentleman that said his axis was hard to beat on tournament day was right. I know this is not the best of groups. But for a weekend tinker and shooter I will take it. Thanks to all who helped me get thru the trigger issues.

J.Baker
12-14-2023, 03:19 PM
Looks like a keeper to me. :thumb:

charlie b
12-14-2023, 04:55 PM
The Axis action itself is decent enough. The recoil lug setup is the real weak point. Too bad Savage won't change it. And if triggers are hard to find for the 110 the Axis is even worse. Although a little work on them and they can be made to perform OK.

PhilC
12-15-2023, 10:17 AM
It's always nice when it comes together like that! :thumb:

Dave Hoback
12-15-2023, 11:55 AM
The Axis action itself is decent enough. The recoil lug setup is the real weak point. Too bad Savage won't change it. And if triggers are hard to find for the 110 the Axis is even worse. Although a little work on them and they can be made to perform OK.

Seriously. For the life of me I have no idea what possessed Savage to change the Recoil Lug setup for the Axis. It’s like they tried to merge the Savage & Tikka Lug setups together. But then they went back to traditional with the Impulse. Design engineers can be strange folks who have

charlie b
12-15-2023, 08:43 PM
Yeah, that one is hard to understand. No real reason to do it that way. I'd bet it even cost them more money in the long run.