PDA

View Full Version : Shot Groups

Warthog
12-12-2010, 06:21 PM
I have been reloading for a year or so in .308. I have been working up loads, trying different powders, bullets, and OAL. I have a chronometer and a place to shoot with concrete benches and I use a five gallon bucket which seems to be the right height for shooting.

My question is, when comparing say, one OAL to another, how do I get myself out of the equation? That is, should I be shooting off my bi-pod, sandbags or something else?

I don't think I will have a job soon, so I do not want to spend a lot of money. I have a sandbag which looks like two pillows sewn together, which you can rest on the forearm in, and a smaller one to rest the rifle butt on. Should I be using these or the bi-pod or something else?

I want to get to be a good shot with the bi-pod, but I want to sort out the reloading process without my shooting inconsistency confusing things.

How do you test your loads?

Thank you for your help.

slaroy
12-12-2010, 09:52 PM
When testing the accuracy of your loads, I would suggest NOT using the bipod. I have had a few frustration when using a bipod in the past. Sandbags on concrete benches should be the ticket as long as you are doing your part to keep your shooting consistent. Just my .02$

82boy
12-12-2010, 10:25 PM
I for one do like shooting off of a bi-pod. I would shoot off of the bags you have. When shooting do you have any type of wind flags? wind flags don't have to be elaborate or expensive, a piece of surveyors tape tied to a stick and placing several of them out in various ranges from the gun to the target is an excelant idea. Wind will GREATLY affect the bullets travel. Just shoot 3 shot groups to tun the gun, the old saying is true 3 shots proves the load, 5 shots proves the shooter. Adjust seating depth last when you find a powder load and bullet combo that looks good then adjust COL. Don't get stuck that the round has to be close to the lands try everything, try on the lands jambed in the lad and back off the lads. when shooting go in small steps if you see an improvement keep going in that direction until you don't or things look worse. If you start out and make and adjustment and you don't see an improvement or things look worse go the other direction. It is not uncommon to find that a factory Savage barrel likes the bullet with a lot of jump. Some guns like .50 and even .080 jump and shoot great there. It is my experience that every factory Savage barrel shoots it best dirty, so don't clean them much. I have found that they don't start shooting good again until they have 20 or more rounds down the tube after being cleaned.

GaCop
12-13-2010, 09:03 AM
Good info 82boy.

Warthog
12-14-2010, 11:42 PM
I for one do like shooting off of a bi-pod. I would shoot off of the bags you have. When shooting do you have any type of wind flags? wind flags don't have to be elaborate or expensive, a piece of surveyors tape tied to a stick and placing several of them out in various ranges from the gun to the target is an excelant idea. Wind will GREATLY affect the bullets travel. Just shoot 3 shot groups to tun the gun, the old saying is true 3 shots proves the load, 5 shots proves the shooter. Adjust seating depth last when you find a powder load and bullet combo that looks good then adjust COL. Don't get stuck that the round has to be close to the lands try everything, try on the lands jambed in the lad and back off the lads. when shooting go in small steps if you see an improvement keep going in that direction until you don't or things look worse. If you start out and make and adjustment and you don't see an improvement or things look worse go the other direction. It is not uncommon to find that a factory Savage barrel likes the bullet with a lot of jump. Some guns like .50 and even .080 jump and shoot great there. It is my experience that every factory Savage barrel shoots it best dirty, so don't clean them much. I have found that they don't start shooting good again until they have 20 or more rounds down the tube after being cleaned.

I would have responded earlier, but I have been working. Thank you for your help, I will try the sandbag next time i go to the range. Now if I can just figure how to post a picture on this forum so i can show you the results!
Warthog

82boy
12-15-2010, 11:47 AM
Now if I can just figure how to post a picture on this forum so i can show you the results!

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,3598.0.html