PDA

View Full Version : Lapua Brass

L.H. Clark
12-12-2010, 04:10 PM
I have read in some of the threads that Lapua brass is a bit thicker than Winchester or Remington, or even Nosler. Has anyone noticed this trend? Was wondering because I was thinking of getting a lee collet neck sizer for a 6.5 Swede but don't really want to if it's gonna eat the Lapua brass. Never had a lee collet neck sizer, but am reading some good things on them. Anyway, I plan on neck turning for consistency so this may not be a problem but I've also read that you really don't need to turn Lapua brass because it's just that good. Anyway........ any input? Any opinions?

DIESEL TECH
12-12-2010, 04:24 PM
The brass is thicker and lupua is that good, IMO I would not turn the brass, I have used a lot of lupua brass in my .308 without any problems and you can get 2x more reloads the win brass and rem brass.

dcloco
12-12-2010, 05:06 PM
Has not been my experience that Lapua brass is thicker than a variety of other manufacturers.

Tozguy
12-12-2010, 05:55 PM
L H, what do you mean 'eat' the brass? Lee collett neck size dies work for a wide range of neck wall thickness.
The Lee die will size turned or unturned necks.

GaCop
12-13-2010, 09:09 AM
I use my Lee collet die on Lapua brass (unturned necks) w/o any problems. Go for it. Just don't adjust the die to the point it leaves marks on the case necks. You only need about .002" sizing to hold a bullet for bench work. Soft seated bullets work fine in my .223 and 308 bench rifles.

L.H. Clark
12-13-2010, 12:17 PM
O.K. great info. Thank you all. And GACOP, that sounds right to me on the adjustment. I suppose the few posts I read about the Collet die "eating" the lapua brass is from a few guys that don't know how to adjust the dies or something. I was just wanting more info before I bought the die.
Thanks again.

L.H. Clark