PDA

View Full Version : How far should the bolt close on a no go gauge?

Sh40674
11-29-2023, 12:37 AM
Swapped my 358 barrel over to a left hand action I have. Used the go gauge to snug down the action, tightened the nut, then checked with both the go and no go gauges. Go gauge bolt closes, no go gauge bolt doesn't close at all. I've done a few of these and it always seemed I got it to close slightly (say almost half way) then stop. This I cam move the bolt about 3/8 inch and it dead stops. Tried backing the action off a little and also snugging it slightly more but same result. I think I'm over thinking this for sure, as both gauges are doing what they're supposed to do im just not hitting that "sweet spot". On a cartridge it seems to close fine. My main thing is safety of course, it's a hunting rifle so I'm not looking for it to be perfect. Good to go?

Dave Hoback
11-29-2023, 01:48 AM
Yes, you are overthinking it. But, you’re not the first, so don’t worry. If the bolt closes on the Go & doesn't close on the No Go, it’s fine. Just because it’s not doing precisely as another barrel did doesn’t make a bit of difference on a hunting rifle. Regardless if the Bolt only closes 10% or 90% it’s fine. Less closing on the No Go simply means it’s slightly less headspace. That’s all. You are GTG!:tea:

Sh40674
11-29-2023, 03:07 AM
As always, thank you dave!

charlie b
11-29-2023, 10:49 AM
If you have some ammo around try loading it. If it fits you're good (and it should).

Sh40674
11-29-2023, 10:17 PM
Yep! Have some winchester and hornady and both seem good!