PDA

View Full Version : New guy with a new to me Savage

Thundersnow70
11-27-2023, 09:11 AM
Hello, to be honest I "accidentally" bought a Savage rifle on a auction and in hopes to figure out what it actually is I Googled Savage forums and this site was #1. Figure this is the place that has all the knowledge. From looking around a bit I think I'm in the right place. Looking forward to reading and learning more.

Dave Hoback
11-27-2023, 11:51 AM
Welcome.

If you can post a picture, we can tell you exactly what is. And if you tell us the beginning of the serial number, we can tell you what year it was made.

Thundersnow70
11-27-2023, 05:00 PM
Welcome.

If you can post a picture, we can tell you exactly what is. And if you tell us the beginning of the serial number, we can tell you what year it was made.

I believe it a 1895 savage lever gun serial # 71xx. I'm planning on starting a thread because I've got some questions. Thanks

Dave Hoback
11-27-2023, 06:03 PM
If it’s truly a Savage 1895, it’s quite rare & worth a bit of money. However, I’m wondering if it’s in fact an 1899, or more commonly known as, Model 99 in the later years. Looking forward to seeing it. Btw, what is it chambered in?

Thundersnow70
11-27-2023, 11:34 PM
If it’s truly a Savage 1895, it’s quite rare & worth a bit of money. However, I’m wondering if it’s in fact an 1899, or more commonly known as, Model 99 in the later years. Looking forward to seeing it. Btw, what is it chambered in?

Dave, I started a thread and then found out I'm not going to be able to upload pics. Not now anyway, I don't have the computer knowledge. It's chambered in 303 savage. I'd be willing to text you the pics. Maybe you could post them? I've got questions. Mainly about preserving the stock and who would be qualified or trusted to give this old girl a good cleaning. Maybe breaking down a 1895 is pretty common, I just don't want to do any harm.

ragsflh
11-28-2023, 11:36 AM
send to me.i can post for you

Thundersnow70
11-28-2023, 01:04 PM
send to me.i can post for you
Thanks for the offer. I emailed them to Dave Hoback. Hopefully he can get them posted. Thanks again!