PDA

View Full Version : Advice for a newb that needs a shorter lop stock for hunting.

tysonc
12-12-2010, 03:35 PM
Hey guys, first post. This year was my first for deer. I bought a cheap 110 package in 30-06 from walmart to start me off.

I have noticed that while the rifle is shouldered and I am getting my eye to proper relief - I bought a nikon buckmaster so about 2.5in - I have to really crane my neck forward. This is ok for a short time but if I'm studying a deer or holding for more than 30 secs it's rather uncomfortable. I'm not a big guy, 5'7'' and I have a short neck. So I was thinking about dropping the rifle into a shorter stock.

I am not looking to build a long range precision weapon, just a solid deer rifle. So what are my options without getting ridiculous in price ($150+)?

Smokey262
12-12-2010, 04:33 PM
Just cut the stock down to the length you want, viola!

I am not tall as well, so I do this to my hunting rigs. It also helps to cut the stock when the weather is cold and you have a heavy coat on.

Blue Avenger
12-12-2010, 05:13 PM
used wood stock, cut shorter and a new recoil pad.

catfish
12-13-2010, 03:41 AM
sound like an eye relief problem not lop. move the scope back and or get another mount so you can move it back more.

Axtell3
12-14-2010, 09:18 AM
I'm about the same size. same gun.
I got a 1 piece pictinny base from miday, a weaver I think. I also cut an inch from the stock, but had to do some work on the pad base and inside the tupperware to work.
Eventually I got a different stock, barrel scope trigger etc. and went semi custom.
Just watch the eyebrow if the scope is too close. I found the tupperware sporter to have a pretty good slap.

JCalhoun
12-16-2010, 12:34 AM
A factory youth stock is about an inch shorter on LOP.

I would also look into moving the scope further back. The multi-slotted base is a very good idea considering how short the modern scope tubes are.

tysonc
12-16-2010, 01:28 PM
So what would I need to do/buy so that I can move the scope back. The current mounts look like they're as far back as they can get.

JCalhoun
12-17-2010, 11:47 PM
A Picatinny style rail is what you look into.

There are several available for Savage rifles. Look for companies such as Farrell, TPS, Warne, Badger, etc.

GaCop
12-18-2010, 02:49 PM
EGW also has picatinney style aluminum mounts that are reasonably priced.