PDA

View Full Version : Blued vs stainless action

s1rk1118
12-12-2010, 12:03 PM
Model 12 stagger feed action. Difference between blued and stainless besides the price ($50)?

McKinneyMike
12-12-2010, 12:07 PM
Nothing physically. The SS should be less susceptible to rust.

GaCop
12-13-2010, 08:49 AM
That sums it up. Stainless is no better than blued for most applications.

fatdaddy
12-13-2010, 10:18 AM
+1 on no difference... But if you figure in the "purdy factor", Its well worth the 50 bucks... Bill

desertcj
12-13-2010, 12:56 PM
I debate this in my head all the time. I have a stainless M12 and I used to have a 111(blued). I never had a problem with the blued rifle rusting, but it lingers in my mind when I'm out hunting in the rain. I've thought about blasting a blued action down and having it parkerized. I like that a lot better then blueing!

coyotewallace
12-13-2010, 06:05 PM
+1 "purdy factor",

spot on

+1 on the stainless(unless we are talking blue action, SS barrel. Likes them tooo!)

jwpark
12-14-2010, 04:10 PM
Is there a difference in the steel used between the blued action and stainless action?

Blue Avenger
12-14-2010, 04:29 PM
Is there a difference in the steel used between the blued action and stainless action?
Doh Ya there is.

Ok, how did you mean to ask? I'm sure you had something specific in mind that did not translate well. ;)

fatdaddy
12-14-2010, 04:56 PM
Doh Ya there is.

Ok, how did you mean to ask? I'm sure you had something specific in mind that did not translate well. ;)

Thats some funny $hit right there... Greg try'in to be all politically correct. ;D

Blue Avenger
12-14-2010, 05:11 PM
Political Correctness; The theory that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

jwpark
12-14-2010, 05:53 PM
lol, okay,

I'm asking if the Blued steel action uses a different allow steel than the stainless steel action.

Bluing is usually done to protect steel from rust, done to alloy steels w/ < 13% chromium. Stainless steel is rust resistant by it self because of the high chromium content.

It could be that Savage uses the same alloy steel for the blued and stainless actions. The upcharge in the stainless action could be from the higher level of polish need for it.

Cycler
12-14-2010, 10:26 PM
lol, okay,

I&#39;m asking if the Blued steel action uses a different allow steel than the stainless steel action.

Bluing is usually done to protect steel from rust, done to alloy steels w/ < 13% chromium. Stainless steel is rust resistant by it self because of the high chromium content.

It could be that Savage uses the same alloy steel for the blued and stainless actions. The upcharge in the stainless action could be from the higher level of polish need for it.

First bluing does not protect steel from rust. Bluing, in fact, is a form of rust and is only an appearance item and provides a better surface for an oil film. Again, it does not protect against rust.

Blued actions and barrels are typically made of Cr-Mo low alloy steel with only about 1% Cr and 0.5% Mo. These elements are added for strength, not corrosion resistance.

Stainless steel actions are made of one of the 400-series stainless steels with 12-14% Cr for corrosion resistance and cannot be blued by the standard processes.