PDA

View Full Version : Solid bolt head - no ejector

memilanuk
12-12-2010, 02:17 AM
Anyone ever tried something like this?

It's not uncommon in some shooting disciplines to not have an ejector, but only an extractor. Part of the benefit is that you don't have an ejector plunger pushing the case over against one side of the chamber, potentially affecting accuracy. The other benefit is since you pick the case out of the loading port when you open the bolt, no more cases landing in the dirt, on the concrete bench or firing line, etc. And the added bonus of no hole for the brass case head to extrude into under pressure from hot loads is handy as well ;)

It's not something I see Savage doing anytime soon, too many extra parts/pieces to keep track of during assembly. I've shot guns with the ejector plunger removed, which accomplishes basically all but the last mentioned above (brass flow). I'm curious if anyone has experimented with putting in a solid plug in that hole, or what other things might work and/or be feasible?

TIA,

Monte

model14
12-12-2010, 07:44 AM
I have shot hundreds of rounds through my F/TR .308 target rifle with the ejector pin removed. Prior to bench reloading a fired case I inspect the case for any indication of brass deformation/flow. I have never seen any indication that the hole in the bolt head where the ejector pin used to be is allowing brass flow. I don't see any marks on the brass to indicate a hole was up against the base. Just my observation, others may differ. :)

hailstone
12-12-2010, 08:47 AM
Easy remedy is fill the hole with pin of correct diameter and use some varnish/finger nail paint for retention. Locktite could be used but removal would be harder than with the other method. Both methods would require a heat application for removal.

Armed in Utah
12-12-2010, 11:37 AM
First thing I do is remove the ejector pin/spring.......

No need for it in my world.....

bythebook
12-12-2010, 11:47 AM
First thing I do is remove the ejector pin/spring.......

No need for it in my world.....

+1 for me also

bigedp51
12-12-2010, 12:40 PM
If you do a search you will find the hole in the bolt face serves a very important purpose, several people stated they worked up loads until an impression is left on the rear of the case by the ejector hole and then they back off 1 or 2 grains. :o

I'm now in the non-joking serious mode, you have a recessed bolt face which centers the case in the chamber. The only thing the ejector could do in the recessed bolt face is push the case forward and the ejector spring can't argue with 50,000 cup when you pull the trigger.

I would be more worried about what centers the bolt head with the axis of the bore and the diameter of the chamber.

The reason I say this is because "NOTHING" centers the rear of the case on a British Enfield rifle and at Bisley England they shoot Enfields at 1000 yards.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o254/bigedp51/IMGP6308-a.jpg

Aircraftmech76
12-12-2010, 04:42 PM
My single-shot 6.5 WSSM is set up this way Monte. No chasing brass, and I did something a little different with the bolt head. Let me know if you'd like to see it, and I'll bring her down to Dave's and let you take a look at it. To be completely honest, I've been wanting to make your acquaintance for some time now :-)

Kevin

memilanuk
12-13-2010, 12:01 AM
If you do a search you will find the hole in the bolt face serves a very important purpose, several people stated they worked up loads until an impression is left on the rear of the case by the ejector hole and then they back off 1 or 2 grains.
Bah... don't need to back off *that* much. 'Sides, if I don't have that pesky ejector hole to bother me, and I have the firing pin hole bushed to prevent early cratering... might be interesting how much more go-fast one could get out of the cases... :o

On a more serious note, I'm guessing the answer would be 'not much' before the primer pockets start loosening up fast. ;)

I don't necessarily run my loads *that* hot, at least not compared to some people I know... but unfortunately long range shooting is an outdoor sport conducted in all weather... and it doesn't take much more than a drop of water or a little bit of condensation on the case (nearly unavoidable under certain circumstances) and your bolt will be 'clicking' open nicely and you'll have big nasty ejector wipe marks on the case head... which I'd like to avoid.

they shoot Enfields at 1000 yards.
bigEd,

Not in the games I play they don't. Not even the Brits ;)

Kevin,

Might have to do that ;) Of course we *do* have those 600yd practices up @ NCWGC most months if you're interested.

tiny68
12-13-2010, 11:19 AM
I pulled my ejector pin and I puck brass on my 30BR. I can't see any need for it in F/Class, you are waiting for the target to be marked. In point blank BR, a lot of guys with the custom rigs will run and gun. A guy setting next to me at a match put all 5 in his group in less than 10 sec. He was using a Viper drop port action. With a little practice, I can shoot, pull brass, load from a loading block on a stand by the action without ever looking up in less than 3 sec pretty easy. I have fired off my 5 on the target in 15 sec trying to stay with the conditions. However, it sure didn't pay for me. My bag set up was not right and I wasn't returning to target good enough.

Tim