PDA

View Full Version : I like these. Shows little difference between most shooters.

Dave Hoback
11-15-2023, 06:04 PM
I like this Texas Plinking Gear channel. It shows that with most shooters, doesn’t matter if they have they have top tier rifle/optics, or manufacturer/budget rifles & Decent Chinese optics. Same outcome. This is only 2 vids but these guys have many videos showing things like this.

This first video has the guy with a frigg’n Mount-Nagant/SWFA 10x scope do as well as a guy shooting a Accuracy International/S&B PMII Scope! Now how-about-that!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wC7Qc2Jdirw&t=2490s

And here is another with a guy shooting a Savage 110/Vortex Viper PST GenII who outscores several other competitors with custom & or more expensive rifles/optics.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URr3YUFNOq0

And before the broken records come out, I’m not saying that inexpensive gear is better than expensive gear. I’m simply saying that YOU, as a regular shooter DON’T need a custom rifle. You don’t need a $3000, $4000 or $5000 optic. It’s not going to make you any better. Not that there is anything wrong with top tier gear. It’s awesome, for sure. If a person wants it & has the budget, go for it. Just stop saying it makes a shooter better. Yet another reason I love modern times. Because now we have countless pieces of video proof showing facts!

Robinhood
11-15-2023, 09:12 PM
Don't be fooled by that guy or his Mosin Nagant. It ain't your uncles $85.00 mil surplus. That rifle has been re barreled and worked over. And those were not sardine can cartridges either. Alas you are correct, the indian is more valuable than the bow and arrow.

Alguapo
11-15-2023, 10:55 PM
Love those Savages.

Dave Hoback
11-15-2023, 10:56 PM
It’s had the Bolt turned. Not sure what you mean by worked over, however I would say pretty much anything that can be done, should be! Because every Com-Block Mosin-Nagant I’ve ever fired was complete garbage! The stock surplus 91/30’s have bolt lift that make a Savage 110 feel like a durn Tikka! They usually have around 10lb triggers so trigger work is paramount! And the accuracy is non-existent! Obviously his has the turned bolt, defiantly had some trigger work done. (Again, a Must!) Probably has some Bolt & Action polishing, just as we do on our Savage 110’s. One thing I question is if it is a rebarrel.. I’ve never seen a rebarreled Nagant with the front sight reattached. And keeping the military pencil barrel profile? What’s the point of keeping that thin profile & the front site if rebarreling? So I’m not certain that it is a new barrel. But again, I would almost think it would have to be for how bad they typically shoot. Honestly, I don’t know either way. Regardless though, whatever was done & even if it is rebarreled, that still doesn’t discount it as an inexpensive surplus rifle Action. As for ammunition, he was using Sellier & Bellot Precision 7.62x54R, with 174gr HPBT pills. He also loads his own for hunting. Here’s Mosin-Chad doing 1500yds with it. Took some time but it’s still impressive it was done at all. (I actually think the 10”, 1MOA round steel at 1000yds was more impressive!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmJcVbrCvuI

By the way… 4900! ;)

Myg30
11-21-2023, 01:25 PM
And before the broken records come out, I’m not saying that inexpensive gear is better than expensive gear. I’m simply saying that YOU, as a regular shooter DON’T need a custom rifle. You don’t need a $3000, $4000 or $5000 optic. It’s not going to make you any better. Not that there is anything wrong with top tier gear. It’s awesome, for sure. If a person wants it & has the budget, go for it. Just stop saying it makes a shooter better. Yet another reason I love modern times. Because now we have countless pieces of video proof showing facts!

This reminds me of a time at the range when an old feller with an open site lever rifle was pinging a steel plate at 300yrds.
and the youngsters with their scopes and AR’s had their mouths open ! (They missed most of the time).

Mike

big honkin jeep
11-21-2023, 05:48 PM
A couple of rattlecan painted old Savage flatback sporters with a little JB Weld bedding a tuned up 3 screw trigger a clearance bin scope and a couple old Core Loct or Super X cardboard boxs full of tuned handloads in an antique caliber like 30-06 is one of my favorite sports.
After a couple of ragged one hole groups it rarely fails.
"What are you shooting?"
Just sightin in a couple old huntin rifles.
"What caliber is that"
30-06.
Sometimes followed by packing up and leaving.
Nearly always followed by much less bluster about their $$$$ rig.
A lot of times I'll even ask if they want to shoot it
Even had a fella try to trade me a Browning Gold Medallion with a Leupold for my sons 111 25-06 with a clearance Bushnell 3200 after I let him shoot it..
Woulda been a done deal if it hadn't been my boys first hunting rifle I'd given him.
What fun indeed.

charlie b
11-23-2023, 01:02 AM
Yep, the person behind the gun is much more important than the gun.

Yeah, I've surprised people at the local range. I pull out my Axis with cast bullets and outshoot many of the guys with their 6.5CM's who are getting ready to go hunting with their one box of shells.

But, at some point you get your skill level to the point at which the gun and ammo matters. One of Eric Cortina's videos show him helping a guy to shoot better. The guy gets his rifle out and shoots. Eric let's him shoot his gun and the guy's groups are much less.

And sometimes it becomes mental. If you know you have a better barrel/scope/trigger/etc, then you will 'settle' better on the line.