PDA

View Full Version : dressing up the 6.5 BRM

Bobby Tomek
11-04-2023, 11:30 AM
A few weeks ago, I was extremely fortunate and stumbled across an ad for a lightly-used Zeiss Diatal Classic 7x50 with the #60 illuminated reticle for $650 shipped from Poland. I couldn't help myself and typed the three magic words: "I'll take it."

A week later, I had the scope.

The #60 in this one is a bit different than in other Zeiss series of scopes, and so is the illumination. The reticle is segmented with a small dot in the center. It's heavy enough to stand out in low light. The illumination is the best part: In full darkness, it adjusts down so lowly that it's virtually invisible -- MUCH better than in the Victory HT or Conquest V4 series (and those are still very good!). In moonlight, the performance of the scope must be seen to be appreciated. It is truly exceptional.

I generally prefer 30mm tubes with larger objectives as I think they look better that way. But I'll make an exception for this particular one-inch tube.

It sits atop my 24" Eabco barrel in 6.5 BRM. Now I just need to christen it properly.

https://i.postimg.cc/N07NqTRR/zeiss-7x50.jpg (https://postimg.cc/940PyD8f)

https://i.postimg.cc/HnYF7ZRt/20231104-094119.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

J A XSP
11-04-2023, 03:53 PM
Sweet!
I always feel like I need to up my game with scopes every time I see one of your optics posts. :)
I have a hard time spending anything much over a couple hundred bucks on a scope even though I know I'd benefit from better quality optics. The one exception I've made is finding an unused, in-the-box Leupold 2.5x8 handgun scope. After shipping and internet sales tax that one was a little over $400 and I knew it was a reasonable bargain. For rifles and carbines, I've been very satisfied with Vortex models in the price range of up to $200 or $250.

Bobby Tomek
11-04-2023, 05:50 PM
I've had good luck with Vortex scopes and like the original Diamondback series -- a lot. The later HP version was good, too -- and never gave me reason to complain. For a long while, I had a Vortex 4-12x on the 23" 25-35 I used to have and recall taking a coyote at just under 200 yards one morning when there was very little shooting light to work with. I like their V-plex reticle, too.

J A XSP
11-04-2023, 09:50 PM
I got a couple of matching 2-7x32 Crossfire IIs at a great price to use on a couple of 44 mag barrels that I'm comparing. Those scopes look pretty fantastic.
I've got Diamondbacks on my 30-30 and 25 Bullberry barrels and I've got a discontinued Copperhead on a 22 mag. They all seem to work very well. :)

sunnysmarine
11-05-2023, 12:38 AM
I've had good luck with Vortex scopes and like the original Diamondback series -- a lot. The later HP version was good, too -- and never gave me reason to complain. For a long while, I had a Vortex 4-12x on the 23" 25-35 I used to have and recall taking a coyote at just under 200 yards one morning when there was very little shooting light to work with. I like their V-plex reticle, too.

That 25-35 may become a AI soon :rockon:

Bobby Tomek
11-05-2023, 11:26 AM
The AI version sure is fun to play with as well. I had thought about it with that barrel, but it shot so dog-gone well with the 80 grain TTSX and 100 grain Ballistic Tips that I never got around to it.

sunnysmarine
11-06-2023, 09:58 AM
Nah not going to ruin this barrel, I will have one made, Then may sell this one

J A XSP
11-06-2023, 10:38 AM
I've got a 25 Bullberry barrel you could play with...I've felt like 25-35 is more the direction I should go but this Bullberry barrel came along and that was that. :) I bet we could work a trade if you felt inclined. :)

sunnysmarine
11-06-2023, 10:26 PM
sent you a message JA XSP

J A XSP
11-07-2023, 10:23 AM
sent you a message JA XSP

Answered...check your inbox

Bobby Tomek
11-07-2023, 06:47 PM
JA-If you wind up with that 23" 25-35, I can tell you it LOVES Hodgdon's LVR and the 80 grain Barnes TTSX. It'll safely drive it well over 2900 fps. No other powder came close to that speed and gilt-edged accuracy that this combo provided, though it did very well with a number of other powders/bullets. I used conventional 25-35 brass and reformed 30-30; both served me very well. The 30-30 brass will require a reduction in powder charge due to the variance in internal capacity.

The 100 grain Ballistic Tip at 2600 fps is also very effective on deer, hogs and coyotes. But I can say the same for the 85 grain BT, the 87 grain Speer SP and old-style Hornady 87 grain SP. At 25-35 speeds, they'll hold together plenty well for deer and drop them quickly and humanely.

J A XSP
11-07-2023, 08:31 PM
JA-If you wind up with that 23" 25-35, I can tell you it LOVES Hodgdon's LVR and the 80 grain Barnes TTSX. It'll safely drive it well over 2900 fps. No other powder came close to that speed and gilt-edged accuracy that this combo provided, though it did very well with a number of other powders/bullets. I used conventional 25-35 brass and reformed 30-30; both served me very well. The 30-30 brass will require a reduction in powder charge due to the variance in internal capacity.

The 100 grain Ballistic Tip at 2600 fps is also very effective on deer, hogs and coyotes. But I can say the same for the 85 grain BT, the 87 grain Speer SP and old-style Hornady 87 grain SP. At 25-35 speeds, they'll hold together plenty well for deer and drop them quickly and humanely.

It'd be a good one and would go well toward my efforts to get my collection to have more "factory" rounds so I can feel better about keeping them in the family without the requirements for reloading. :) I hope to be around for a lot more years but when it comes time to divvy up my stuff, I'd like to leave something that's easy to use. Ammo like the 25-35 isn't all that easy to come by but I actually found some available at Midway. At retail price, I may not be doing anyone any favors setting up for factory ammo. :D :D :D