PDA

View Full Version : Savage, build a better mag...Please

Pages : 1 [2]

Turkeytider
10-27-2023, 03:54 PM
I'm guessing your having issues with the .350 Legend feeding, which is a widely known common issue with the Savage's. As Dave said, you'll need to open the feed lips slightly on that mag due to the .350 Legend being slightly larger in diameter than the .223 the mag was designed for.

And while Dave may be a smartass now and again when someone mentions switching to another brand of rifle, with certain cartridges I often recommend people do just that as the Savage's just don't feed certain cartridges well (the Creedmoor's being another perfect example). Dave just fails to understand that not everyone likes to tinker with their rifles like he does, and they sure as hell don't want to have to fix their brand new rifle because the manufacturer cant' figure out how to or simply can't be bothered to make them right.

Love my Savage rifles, but I also accept that they're far from perfect and they aren't always the best option.
I love the three Savage rifles that I have as well. They have, and continue, to serve me well. They have been a great introduction into rifle shooting. Having said that, should my club range go to 1,000 yards, I`ll be looking for a 6.5 Creedmoor in all likelihood. Because of the well documented issues with that caliber, and regrettably to my knowledge, Savage`s inability/unwillingness to address said issues, I`ll be going in another direction brand wise.

pdog06
10-27-2023, 08:10 PM
Tikka can have issues as well…

https://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/not-my-luckiest-day.4107778/

Underdog
10-28-2023, 08:47 AM
All 3 of my 110's have feed issues, but yes the 350 legend is the worst and tweaking the feed lips on all of them helped greatly. I have other rifles with polymer mags and they feed much smoother than all of my savages do. I just wish savage would redesign their mags to work and feed a tad better and smoother, that's all. One thing I can say is all my 110's have very good accuracy and the stocks fit me very well, so they are all keepers. I like to tinker with stuff also and it gives me satisfaction knowing the changes I have made work better than the original design.

Robinhood
10-28-2023, 05:38 PM
I'm guessing your having issues with the .350 Legend feeding, which is a widely known common issue with the Savage's. As Dave said, you'll need to open the feed lips slightly on that mag due to the .350 Legend being slightly larger in diameter than the .223 the mag was designed for.

And while Dave may be a smartass now and again when someone mentions switching to another brand of rifle, with certain cartridges I often recommend people do just that as the Savage's just don't feed certain cartridges well (the Creedmoor's being another perfect example). Dave just fails to understand that not everyone likes to tinker with their rifles like he does, and they sure as hell don't want to have to fix their brand new rifle because the manufacturer cant' figure out how to or simply can't be bothered to make them right.

Love my Savage rifles, but I also accept that they're far from perfect and they aren't always the best option.

Excellent point. Savages are a good platform for people who want or are willing to learn and understand the ins and outs, to learn the why's and how to fix things. That can carry you a long way in understanding the improvements that customs and other manufaturers provide. When you have experimented and fixed for years you realize things are better with other platforms. Savage does draw you near if you have a lot of tools and plenty of "Bench Time".