PDA

View Full Version : Savage 220 Barrel Swap

UncleJimmy
10-08-2023, 05:07 PM
I hope this is the right place to post. I searched and couldn’t find where this topic was discussed before.

I have a Savage 220 slug gun. Since straight wall cartridges have taken off the way they have, I have not been able to sell my 220. I thought I would simply swap the barrel to a center fire rifle caliber to use for elk or long range deer.

Has anyone ever done this? I assume it would be either a long or magnum action. I would have to change the bolt face accordingly as well.

Thank you for your time

J.Baker
10-15-2023, 03:08 PM
IIRC what you're wanting to do isn't possible as I believe the bore diameter for the bolt and the depth of the raceways in the action are different than what would be needed for a centerfire rifle bolt assembly. I also don't think finding workable bottom metal for a DBM would be possible as the 220 has the long-actions crew spacing but the bottom of the action is cut for short-action length magazines making it kind of a bastard. It's been 12 years since I last played with a 220, but I'm betting Fred would know for sure.