PDA

View Full Version : newbie needs help

savage.308
10-09-2009, 11:34 PM
alright heres the lowdown. I do not know much about building your own rifles or whatnot I usually just point my rifle at the deer and pull the trigger. Well I just bought a savage 10 heavy barrel (tactical) rifle and am looking for a new stock. They said to measure the distance between the 2 reciever screws. Well I dont even know what 2 screws those are. then they asked if its centerfeed which I am quessing is the oposite to staggered? Just kind of confusing??? serial # is G831543 if this will help????

savage.308
10-09-2009, 11:36 PM
I appreciate all help offered! Also if it helps it if the older model that has a NON opening floorplate (no magazine) so its just top loaded. It does have the acutrigger though so I dont know how old it is or anything

groupshooter22
10-10-2009, 12:16 AM
The action screws are the 2 foreward most screws. The one behind the trigger just holds the trigger guard. The easiest way to tell staggered from center feed is to take your action out of the stock. If the magazine is in the stock its centerfeed w/ 4.4" screw spacing. If the mag stays on the action it stagger feed w/ 4.275" spacing.

docsleepy
10-11-2009, 08:34 PM
use calipers to measure the center to center or front edge to front edge distance between the screws.
Also do what the others recommmended, remove action and see if the magazine metal container is attached to the action (staggerfeed) or to the stock (centerfeed)

gordon