PDA

View Full Version : "J"- actions

Jeff518
12-10-2010, 06:48 PM
Are the "J" actions, found on the 110 silhouette model, simply 1st generation short actions? My Silhouette measures the same as the Early short action seen here; Do they share parts with 2nd generation short actions (bolt and mag box)?
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii249/Jeff518/th_Savageactionlengths.jpg (http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii249/Jeff518/Savageactionlengths.jpg)

My question is about bolt parts; I'd like to build a second complete bolt for this gun. I have what I believe is a "J" bolt body, are all other short action parts interchangeable? (I don't have a newer short action to compare with).
Thanks,
Jeff

ellobo
12-11-2010, 01:18 AM
You will need a a different baffle that keeps the bolt from going too far back I believe. Not al J series were first geneation short action I beleive. There was a different baffle on the bolt to keep it from going back to far on those made for short action cartridges. I think the mag box is shorter also. I had one in short action mode but cant remember the details. My short action J series 110 had a mounting screw spacing of 4.522 if thats any help. Maybe someone with better info will chime in here.

El Lobo

82boy
12-11-2010, 01:20 AM
The known as "J" action is a 1st gen short action. People call them "J" actions because most came out with the J prefix to the serial number. Just because a action has a "J" prefix doesn't mean it is a 1st gen short action.

The 1st gen shot is actually a long action with a short action magazine cut out, The 2nd gen short is truly a short action. The bolts are different.

chj3
09-10-2011, 11:35 AM
Bringing forward the older post of "J" action rifles as I saw what I assume is a factory Savage 110 silhouette rifle and am looking for more info on it.

The Blue Book lists a Savage 110-S as a factory silhouette rifle . This rifle is stamped "110 J", has a walnut stock with stippling, and is a 7mm-08. Didn't check the serial number.

Were many 4.522" spacing actions/rifles sold? I'm assuming they are 1980's vintage?

The trigger assemble in the photo looks slightly different than the other two. Any implications?

sharpshooter
09-11-2011, 09:04 PM
The "j" series came out in 1966. The "J" was to differentiate from the previous design, so it does not have anything to do with action length. The first generation short actions actually came out in 1960, with the 4.522" bolt spacing. The series"J" short actions were used on the 112V from 1975-1978. The 112R and 110S were repeaters and were made from 1979-80. The first generation short action screw spacing was used until 1989, after that everything was built on a long action. Short action calibers built on long actions used a short magazine box and the corresponding machine cut for such.
The first generation short action used the old style bolt head with a C clip style extractor, which is obsolete.The bolt body is also different as the cross pin hole is 90 degrees different than current production.
The series "J" short action uses a long action bolt head and standard parts, other than the firing pin assembly is unique to it's length.

Blue Avenger
09-11-2011, 09:36 PM
I have 2 series "J" rifles, one .220 swift and one is a 7mm rem mag.