PDA

View Full Version : Is It Worth It?

Pages : 1 [2]

PhilC
09-15-2023, 08:36 AM
I`m completely aware of handicaps with not hand loading. My major issue is space. It`s my impression that one needs dedicated and very organized space to hand load properly.
I've seen operating table clean to how you can find anything in that pile of stuff loading benches as well as fit in a closet setups too. When starting out it's good practice to have a clean, quiet, work space. Distractions are the worst possible scenario when starting out, attention to detail is critical.

That said, I find time at the bench calming, therapeutic, and enjoyable. Like Charlie said, start small and simple, the fundamentals are more important than the latest greatest do it all system. Plenty of time to ugrade and expand later. :nod:

tammons
09-15-2023, 07:19 PM
I know it`s ultimately my decision, but I respect greatly the opinions of the forum. My Model 12 LRPV is so far capable of easy sub-MOA groups at 100. It`s also printing 4-4.5" 5 shot groups at 500, all with factory ammo, when I don`t screw up the shot. I know the Accutrigger on the gun has some room to lighten up, but I`ve always been a " if it ain`t broke, don`t fix it " kind of guy. Also have to admit I`ve not put a gauge on the trigger pull. I`m just hesitant to start taking stuff apart, fooling with action screws, etc. and maybe messing up something that I probably should have left alone in the first place. I also realize that without working up hand loads I`ll probably never fully realize the gun`s true capabilities, regardless. Thanks guys, just interested in thoughts.

Try some hand loads. But you have to find the load/bullet that your rifle likes.
I had a Savage Varmint rifle in 223, and with factory match loads it would shoot 1 inch or so.
However with hand loads with one particular bullet it would shoot 3/8" at 100 yards all day long.

I also had a 6mm BR barrel on that same action and it wasn't shooting so hot until I found the magic load on the 6mmBR website.
With that load, I was immediately shooting 3/4" groups at 300 yards if I was doing my part.

Dave Hoback
09-15-2023, 09:01 PM
I very honestly wouldn’t touch a thing. Especially if your range is expanding to 1K yards! You are Going to want to rebarrel the very day you have access to that range. While you certainly can use 223 to shoot out to 1,000, it’s not practical. Anything other than dead calm, even a slight breeze, just pushes those 22cal bullets all over the place. You’ll likely want to go to 6.5 Creedmoor. Especially if you want to continue using factory ammunition.

Unless of course, you simply just get a second rifle when the time comes…to better handle the extra target distance. Certainly an option. 223 is among my favorite cartridges & I will always have a rifle chambered for it. However, I’m not a fan of 223 in Bolt Guns. I prefer my AR15 for 223 affairs.

Turkeytider
09-15-2023, 09:33 PM
I very honestly wouldn’t touch a thing. Especially if your range is expanding to 1K yards! You are Going to want to rebarrel the very day you have access to that range. While you certainly can use 223 to shoot out to 1,000, it’s not practical. Anything other than dead calm, even a slight breeze, just pushes those 22cal bullets all over the place. You’ll likely want to go to 6.5 Creedmoor. Especially if you want to continue using factory ammunition.

Unless of course, you simply just get a second rifle when the time comes…to better handle the extra target distance. Certainly an option. 223 is among my favorite cartridges & I will always have a rifle chambered for it. However, I’m not a fan of 223 in Bolt Guns. I prefer my AR15 for 223 affairs.

That`s funny, Dave! LOL, I just started casually looking at rifles in 6.5 Creed a couple of days ago. Plenty to pick from! I think it`ll be a while, though, before they can expand the shooting range.

Dave Hoback
09-15-2023, 10:06 PM
Not my first Ro_de_o partner. ;)

charlie b
09-15-2023, 10:47 PM
I liked my .223 (Axis) as it got me interested in the smaller targets at longer ranges. That barrel is in a box now. The BVSS has a 6BR barrel and the Axis has the .308 that came with the BVSS. It is my cast bullet gun and I use it out to 500yd. It will probably be replaced next year since it has over 6000 rounds through it now. Not sure if I will keep it as .308, change to .30-06 or downsize to .30BR. Still primarily for cast loads.

Beyond 1000yd then you need a bit more. Some folks just bite the bullet and use the .300WM or the 6.5/284 (and several other choices depending on the competition chosen). All depends on your needs and preferences.

Dave Hoback
09-16-2023, 01:53 AM
There are many Shooters using their 6.5 CM’s & 260Rems out to 1-Mile! Many of the high BC .264” bullets aren’t going Subsonic until 1500-1600yds. In fact, speaking of the 300WM, in many cases it takes upwards 200gr+ pills to match the BC of many of the .264” Match projectiles; sometimes up to 220gr. So I certainly would not task the 6.5MM SA cartridges as being being good only to out 1000yds. Quick visit perusing YouTube videos will dispel that myth!