PDA

View Full Version : New, to me, 110 that shoots like a shotgun

centershot
09-05-2023, 06:35 PM
Purchase a used 110 in .30/06. Shot very little. After three trips to the range, it will not shoot better than 3". This is a wood stock model from 2004. I replaced the scope, no change. Four different powders, Three different bullets, and two different primers. Groups are mostly vertical.
I borrowed a bore scope and found "pot holes" in the barrel towards the muzzle. The barrel seems pretty smooth with not a lot of copper in it.
My next step will be to pillar bed the stock. Should I try J B first?
Unfortunately, I do not own a rifle that shoots over 1.5" so this is a challenge.
Comments?

pdog06
09-05-2023, 09:01 PM
How close to the muzzle? Could it be rust?You could shorten and Re-crown it if it’s that bad. Can you take a screenshot of the borescope pic if you’re using your phone?

centershot
09-12-2023, 07:23 PM
I used some JB compound on it and it improved by 50%. Shoots about 1.25 inches. I have all the material to pillar bed it, just need to get the ambition to do it!

Dave Hoback
09-12-2023, 08:25 PM
You said you purchased it used. How do you know it’s shot very very little? If I had a dollar for every time somebody told me a gun they were selling was Used Very Little….. well, I’d have like $25 bucks or something. Still, that’s quite a few. “Low round count” with used firearms can often be like “ALL Highway Miles” as it pertains to the used car market.

Bedding is always a good idea with a wood stock. Pillars definitely! (I prefer Devcon Plastic Steel to JB. Much higher strength bond.) However, I think your barrel may need a new throat. And remove the Copper as well. Really, before anything else. Get a good Caustic Copper solvent & go to town.