PDA

View Full Version : where to get an extra stock to cut down for grandson.

Huntindad
08-29-2023, 06:56 PM
My grandson is 5, soon to be 6 & I want to get him into shooting. I have a B22 FVSR with a suppressor. great for anything up to hogs. Shot a few of those.

anyways, want to get another stock and cut it down. Having zero luck with google. I think it has it's own algorithm and sticks with it. pretty frustrating.

I mostly bowhunt and am not up to speed on tracking down gun parts.

ideas...suggestions?

hamiltonkiler
08-29-2023, 08:56 PM
Buy a different gun. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dfrosch
08-30-2023, 06:46 AM
Boyd's makes stocks for the B22. https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/product-configurator

You could also post a WTB ad on rimfire central. https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/

Underdog
08-30-2023, 07:38 AM
Savage makes a B22 FV-SR "compact" model which has a shorter LOP, maybe giving Savage a call would get you a compact one better suited to your needs.

Huntindad
08-30-2023, 09:33 AM
thanx guys. I suppose I could buy him his own gun, but he'll out grow it. I'm also wanting to have him shoot with the suppressor.

dfrosch - thanx for the WTB link

I have a couple boyd stocks. One is a left handed thumbhole stock on a right handed action. Pretty unique.

I'm hoping to get a cheap used stock I can cut down...and maybe piece together as he grows.

I suppose there are AR style .22's out there that are SR. That would be pretty cool but maybe pricey though.

stomp442
08-30-2023, 10:11 AM
Check Numrich gun parts. They are usually way cheaper than straight from the manufacturer....if they have it.

61Knuckle
09-07-2023, 11:54 AM
Depends on your budget and skill level.
Hamiltonkiler's suggestion may be the best for a 5~8 y.o.. Hit a few gunshows and pawn shops, a decent youth size entry level rifle should turn up for around a C note. A new Keystone Chipmunk is about $250. Otherwise, I'd go to Numrich and see what they have. Then to Boyd's. An auction site [Gunbroker or fleabay, etc] is also a possibility. Also, check out the Rimfire Central forum.
Good Luck on your project. When my G.S. is ready to learn firearms, I'll pull my old J.C. Higgins single shot that I learned on and taught his dad with out of the safe. It is a noble quest and you are obviously putting some effort into it.

Iowa Fox
09-16-2023, 11:41 PM
My grandson will be 20 in a couple months so I've been through this multiple times. At 5 y o buy a different gun. The FVSR is muzzle heavy the way it is, the short stock with a 5 year old it will really want to nose dive for him. Get one of the little single shots like the chipmunk or Rascal or whatever they call them. Start off with Colibri and let him grow into your suppressed FVSR

I've still got the Chipmunk my kids started with. Maybe I'll get a chance to start out a great grandson or daughter.

homer76
12-06-2023, 07:42 PM
Get an MDT LSS chassis. With a 6 position AR buffer tube the length of pull is adjustable.

sharpshooter
12-07-2023, 10:25 PM
That's why Savage makes the Rascal.....

Scttschnd
03-22-2024, 05:44 PM
I do have the stock that came on the MKII I pulled it immediately and put mine in a Boyd's hardwood.
Not sure if the stock will fit you application. But I would give it away for the shipping cost. It is the Small savage plastic stock that come on the MKII. To me it is for kids not adult sized persons and may work for you if the actions work. Scott
I visit here with some frequency let me know be glad to email some photos of it. just sitting around. I think I still have it, may need to double check. Any if I do and it would help you are welcome to it like I said for shipping cost.