PDA

View Full Version : First handloads for my incoming 110 Elite Precision

jeffreybehr
08-26-2023, 02:40 AM
Haven't touched a component or tool for 2-1/2 years, but I got all the way thru 66 break-in and evaluation handloads* for my incoming 110 Elite Precision...
https://www.savagearms.com/content?a=product_summary&p=firearms&s=57557
...with only 4 errors which I caught in process; not bad for a chubby old fart!

* The difference between handloads and reloads is that handloads use all-new components, while reloads use used cases.

See https://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?72205-I-m-not-new-here-but-it-s-been-a-while
...for a little background.

charlie b
08-26-2023, 08:35 AM
Welcome back. I will be curious how your 6CM does. That was one I considered when I decided on a 6BR barrel.

FWIW, when I reload with new cases I call them fireforming loads ;)

Whynot
08-31-2023, 01:04 PM
But I handload all of my reloads.... so they are still handloads. :confused:

South Prairie jim
09-03-2023, 09:03 AM
Too late now but I think I would have waited until the rifle was in front of me, ensuring all brass cycled well through the chamber and find the lands / touch point before seating rounds and certainly start with a slightly lower charge for barrel break in, followed by a 1 shot per charge ladder to find the point of chamber pressure identified by bolt lift resistance and ejector swipes.

Andrew863
09-04-2023, 11:05 PM
I would have also waited and made sure the brass cycled fin and also to set a starting seating depth. But u can always just FLS and set to mag length to fire form brass and start barrel break in. Make sure to clean the barrel good before firing

Bleeb
10-09-2023, 07:47 PM
Yes, make sure your seating depth is enough to keep you out of jam condition. Compare ogive of your loads to facory rounds.

Dave Hoback
10-10-2023, 04:28 AM
I agree with SP-Jim. I also would have waited until it was sitting in front of me to ensure everything chambers well, find the lands ahead of time, etc. However I do understand & commend your anticipation. I’m still waiting on my new barrel from Jim at NSS & the excitement is palpable. I’ve already stripped my rig down to bare Action. I’m going from 260 Rem to 260AI & while I still have very low pressure range reloads, I haven’t yet touched my new Lapua brass to make any handloads. And no, I’m not Fire Forming with pistol powder/cream of wheat. I’m planning to use my normal 260 Rem. loads as my fire forming & continue from there with AI reloads.
It’s clear you have the same excitement level Jeffrey, and that brings me a smile. I wish you the best on this endeavor my friend. :tea:

Berserker
10-14-2023, 07:48 AM
H

* The difference between handloads and reloads is that handloads use all-new components, while reloads use used cases.

nd.
The difference is I say hand load when I want to sound uppity, and sophisticated. You don't reuse brass??