PDA

View Full Version : .458 win. magazine requirements

BradB
12-10-2010, 09:25 AM
Hi guys,
I'm new here and need some help. I did a search but couldn't find what I was looking for. I'm rebarreling a model 114w from 30-06 to 458 win mag, what magazine and follower do I need? Will one for a 300 win mag work since they're the same basic case except for the shoulder and neck? I have the correct bolt head coming so I'm good there. Thanks

Hammer
12-10-2010, 10:21 AM

Not familiar with all the various 300 Win Mag magazines that Savage has offered in the nearly 50 years since the 300 Win Mag was first introduced.

Some of those magazines have "bumps" where the cartridge shoulder is to help prevent forward movement and bullet nose damage in recoil.

These "bumps" might interfere with the 458 Win Mag operation since it has no case shoulder.

Fred Moreo of Sharp Shooter will know.

tammons
12-10-2010, 11:07 AM
I am using the 300 WM magazine, but its an older magazine that came with my flatback, control feed SS action.

I have a couple of oddball loads if you want them.
Barnes 300 TTSX and 600 gr solids. Reduced loads and full loads chronographed.
That is as far as I have gotten so far.

Next will be the 350 gr TSX for anything in NA, followed by
450gr barnes bullets for the big stuff.

Ray Sendero sp ?? over at reloaders nest has been
loading the cheap 405 gr remi bullets with some chrono results.

The sami chamber 458WM barrels have way too much freebore IMO and it kills the
FPS. Quickload calcs way high on the 458WM like 300-400 fps high unless you have a custom tight freebore
then your chrono results might be closer.

For most any bullets up to 450-500gr you might as well start off with RL7, H335 and there is
another powder I cant remember that is good for maxing it out.

If you are going to do a lot of testing of full house loads over 350 gr make sure you use a lead sled.

Right now my rifle is 10# even with scope, 21" barrel, 2 merc recoil reducers, in a duromax stock and its a handfull with 600 gr
full house loads.

About 62+# of recoil.
500 gr loads would be about the same.
Standing is okay, but off the bench without a lead sled is brutal.

BradB
12-10-2010, 11:59 AM
Thanks guys, I'm gonna try the standard magnum magazine and go from there I guess, if I have to alter it so be it. I probably won't be shooting full bore loads and definitely won't be going to africa or anything like that so if it's a single shot for now oh well. I've always wanted a 458 wm and wanted to get my feet wet with a little gunsmith work so I thought this would be fun to play with. I've got the barrel channel opened up to fit the new barrel and it looks real good I think. I'm a toolmaker by trade so I have access to any maching I may need and I'm sure I could get the magazine to work one way or another. I am new to altering firearms and new to savages so thanks for being patient with me. :)

Con
12-10-2010, 04:26 PM
The inline feed Stevens boxes work well with 458WinMag and 416Taylor ... not 450Marlin though which nose dive. Trying to work out how to get a 308Win inline box opened to try a 450Marlin on a short action ... easiest option is the 458WinMag and stick with the longer action though. :)
Cheers...
Con

BradB
12-23-2010, 11:40 PM
Ok, I bit the bullet and paid 54$ for the 458 win magazine after I couldn't get the 300 win one to work right. The 458 one is not working either but I don't have the correct follower for it and can't find which one I need. I narrowed the 300 mag follower to fit it but it doesn't work well. With just one or two cartridges in the magazine it works so so, but sometimes a cartridge will stay nose down and won't feed, sometimes it pops up violently and the back end gets above the bolt. Any help would be appreciated.
Con, where can I get an inline feed stevens box? Is that for the stevens 200? Thanks

tammons
12-24-2010, 10:21 AM
If you already have the correct 458 wm staggerfeed box, I would try to find the correct
follower and spring. You should be able to get that from savage. You might have to tweak it
a little to feed. I guess I just got lucky since my older 300 wm magazine works fine.

BradB
12-25-2010, 06:38 PM
I finally found the correct follower for the 458 magazine, it was not easy to locate on midways site but I found it and ordered one. Hopefully it will work right then. Thanks for the suggestions.