PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 BRM & 129 grain LRAB take out a sow

Bobby Tomek
08-25-2023, 10:18 AM
https://i.postimg.cc/q7k9M1S9/20230821-071320.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

The 129 grain grain Long Range Accubond continues to impress. It is very soft and thus a near-perfect match for Contender-type velocities. And as much I as love the 120 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip for this application, I have to admit the 129 LRAB has found a permanent place on my loading desk.

I used that bullet again earlier this week to punch out a sow at 215 yards. The bullet -- launched at a bit under 2500 fps from the 24" barrel -- entered low in front of the shoulder, pulverized the heart, heavily damaged the frontal portions of the lungs and then exited about three inches behind the opposite shoulder. At the shot, the hog whirled and made exactly seven yards before dropping. No trailing was needed, but if that had been the case, blood was in abundance and leaked heavily from both the entrance and exit wounds. In fact, there was a visible spray on the dry grass about three feet behind where the sow originally stood.

The shot was taken very early in the morning and at least 20 minutes before sunrise. But the Meopta MeoSport 3-15x50 performed well. You can find them new for just over $400, and there is no other scope in this price range that can match it, especially when you consider the well-done illumination, which goes down to extremely dim levels. It's not perfect (no optic is!), but it certainly checks a lot of boxes, so to speak, without breaking the bank.

D. Sanders
08-25-2023, 03:55 PM
Nice sow and great info.. Thanks for sharing Bobby. You gonna crank up the grinder and make pan sausage?

sunnysmarine
08-25-2023, 06:46 PM
Nice shootin Texas

ron341
08-25-2023, 09:17 PM
Thanks Bobby for the update on the 6.5 BRM. I recently acquired an Encore in 6.5 BRM and I am educating myself on this new system. I have been following your results on the 6.5 BRM round and your results were instrumental in my decision to go with this new to me weapon. I will be tickled to achieve half the results you get on a regular basis.

Slowpoke Slim
08-31-2023, 08:50 AM
Good to see you out hitting those hogs again Bobby.

Thanks for all the real world bullet testing.