PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from NC

JBpooh
08-24-2023, 11:29 AM
Hello everyone and thanks for letting me join.
I'm Josh from near Charlotte NC and have been a Savage fan for many years.
Recently my buddy has gotten me into more long range shooting 1k+ fun. So on that note I'm currently using a Model 10 LE with Choate stock in .308. It shoots very well and has served me well out to around 1000 yards.
Now I'm in the process of building a 6.5CM on a Savage action(pulled from a model 11 hog hunter) to reach out a little further.
I've been looking at the NSS vise to change the barrel, but wasn't sure if it was worth the investment buying it for one or two barrel changes or if there was a home made option etc that would work just as well.

Dave Hoback
08-24-2023, 12:01 PM
Howdy Josh. Welcome.

Are you referring to the Action Wrench? If so, yes, it’s worthwhile. Because if you are indeed a Savage fan about to build your first…. It won’t be your last, LOL! The NSS Action Wrench is just a modified Wheeler. Has a hole for the front screw, to orient the Action correctly. Makes it a little easier. I’ve had the Wheeler(as many, many others here do), and it’s worked quite well. I also have a Barrel vise, but it’s not needed. I do much more than just Savage work, so it comes in handy. I made it myself though. As for the Action Wrench, NSS is a good bet. You’ll also need a barrel Nut wrench. And a GO gauge at the least.

JBpooh
08-24-2023, 12:13 PM
Ok thanks for the info and good to know. I ordered a Go gauge, new barrel nut, and nut wrench from Hanks Precision. I looked at the Wheeler version, but had seen some bad reviews saying they were weak metal and would round off the lugs trying to remove a factory barrel nut so I hadn't pulled the trigger on getting one yet.

Dave Hoback
08-24-2023, 02:53 PM
Lol! No, the Wheeler Nut wrench works fine. Unfortunately, many people go about replacing barrels or other parts on Savages without any knowledge or ability. It’s the same thing I’ve seen for 2 decades with people “building” AR15’s. They do things improperly and of course want to blame the Tool or the Parts. We see it here from time to time as well. I have a Wheeler Barrel nut wrench & a couple other smaller wrenches that came with the proprietary Barrel nuts I use. They all work fine.

JBpooh
08-24-2023, 03:44 PM
Ok good deal. Now I just need to figure out which barrel to go with. lol Another topic that's like which oil to use or what brand bullet etc, everyone has a different opinion.

Dave Hoback
08-24-2023, 05:26 PM
Post new threads on the questions you have in the 110 Series section. More people will see your topics there. :tea:

JBpooh
08-24-2023, 05:38 PM
Thanks for the help!! Have a good day!

ragsflh
08-25-2023, 09:55 AM
welcome

GaCop
08-26-2023, 06:10 AM
Welcome to the forums