PDA

View Full Version : Firing pin protrusion?

1911Nut
08-20-2023, 11:00 PM
Is a different firing pin protrusion recommended for large primer cartridges vs small primer cartridge?

Robinhood
08-20-2023, 11:24 PM
Not that I am aware of.

Dave Hoback
08-21-2023, 03:13 AM
No, optimum pin protrusion is .035”. Any more is simply limiting the pin travel & as a result, limiting the energy.

Blue Avenger
08-21-2023, 10:28 PM
if you did a barrel change and are having problems, measure your case protrusion also to see that the case can reach the back of the bolt before the barrel bottoms out..
seldom mentioned but should always be done before installing a different barrel.

1911Nut
08-21-2023, 10:59 PM
if you did a barrel change and are having problems, measure your case protrusion also to see that the case can reach the back of the bolt before the barrel bottoms out..
seldom mentioned but should always be done before installing a different barrel.

Im working on a couple bolts setting FP protrusion and clearancing the cocking piece pin from the bolt body.

Thanks to all !!

Dave Hoback
08-22-2023, 01:31 AM
Im working on a couple bolts setting FP protrusion and clearancing the cocking piece pin from the bolt body.

Thanks to all !!

As for the Cocking Piece Pin, set it very close to the edge of the bolt body. I have mine only a couple thous. distance. Take as much pin “fall” as you’re able. I know years ago someone along the way came up with setting the pin distance at 0.080”. Well, this does nothing except loses pin travel. Whereas setting for maximum travel can allow for lighter spring tension. Which aids in bolt lift while still maintaining sufficient striking force.

1911Nut
08-22-2023, 12:33 PM
As for the Cocking Piece Pin, set it very close to the edge of the bolt body. I have mine only a couple thous. distance. Take as much pin “fall” as you’re able. I know years ago someone along the way came up with setting the pin distance at 0.080”. Well, this does nothing except loses pin travel. Whereas setting for maximum travel can allow for lighter spring tension. Which aids in bolt lift while still maintaining sufficient striking force.

Thats good information, thanks!

South Prairie jim
09-02-2023, 09:37 PM
I was in the camp of plenty of pin fall , heavy springs and plenty of pin protrusion , mine ran about .060, the results were clean grouping and no failures to fire. I’m not a gunsmith just sharing an experience.