PDA

View Full Version : New to Forum. Looking for info on a Savage 23d...

Msloan2001
08-10-2023, 09:40 PM
Hey I'm new to the forum. Sorry to come in hot with a obscure question... I've searched the internet most info is on this site but I've never found a post regarding this problem. I bought a Savage model 23d, It had a Weaver 298 scope on it. I put some newer Weaver mounts on and install a 4.5-14x scope. The gun shoots fine except the magazine does not fit in the magwell. It won't click in. The magazine that came with the rifle seems original but it has some issues looks like somebody had tried to weld or braze it together at 1 time. I bought a replacement, that was not cheap,. It is just the same won't click in. If I take the trigger guard off which also has a magwell incorporated into it. I can get the magazine to click in, The bolt will strip a bullet out but the bullet immediately hits the back side of the barrel below the hole, like it needs a feed ramp, The bullet sits in the magazine on an upward angle but as soon as the bolt engages the back of the bullet it pushes it down and level and then it hits the flat back end of the lower barrel. Any help or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks...

Dave Hoback
08-14-2023, 04:28 AM
Welcome. Unfortunately I can’t tell you what’s wrong off the top of my head. I’m only vaguely familiar with the 23D and 22 Hornet. But I can tell you how to zero in on the issue. You need to first focus on the exact problem. It would seem from your comments that the magazine is not able to insert high enough for the the catch to latch on. Try to make certain of this. Then look at all components carefully. Are any components bent or broken, like the magazine catch, or the magazine itself. Are there any burrs in the metal stopping the magazine? Is the Action sitting in the stock deep enough? If not, look for obstruction.

Just to make sure, is it a Savage factory magazine? It should look like this exactly. https://www.ebay.com/itm/175824632751?hash=item28eff6fbaf:g:HI8AAOSwSsBktuf r

GaCop
08-15-2023, 06:05 AM
Welcome to the forums. I hope you can get your problem resolved.

Msloan2001
08-17-2023, 02:23 AM
Thanks for the welcome guys. Dave I appreciate the advice this is also the only bolt gun I have owned/tinkered with. She is old but in decent condition. That's definitely the same magazine, the one that came with it had a broken spot weld. I got a brand new one, its edges are clean and it seems well made. I have had the stock off the gun a few times it seems to fit in place well but I will revisit that. The Mag. well seems to be ok, With the trigger guard removed I can click the magazine in place it looks like it's sitting pretty then. Well thank you very much that gives me a great jumping off point and potential learning lesson. I'll let yall know if I learn something....