PDA

View Full Version : 260 Rem. Long or Short action??

jumpalot
12-09-2010, 11:47 PM
I'm looking to build a "truck" gun for shooting antelope, deer and the occasional coyote out to 500 yds. I'm wanting to shoot the 130 or 140 grain Bergers. Will this combo work in a short action or do I need to get a long action. If I have to go to a long action, I'll just stick with the 6.5-284 I already have. Thanks in advance.

tiny68
12-10-2010, 12:37 AM
A 260 is a necked down 308 if I remember right. Stick with the factory COAL and then a short action functions perfect. If you want to shoot the long VLD style bullets then they usually want fit in your short action mag. That is my experience. If your using it as a truck gun, the SA should do the trick. Luck with your build, Tim

mytwo60
12-10-2010, 03:13 AM
For long range hunting you really shouldn't be shooting more than once. ;D

I have a 260 in a short action but can't fit my rounds in the mag using 142SMKs. It doesn't matter though because I have a few rounds that purposely made shorter to fit the mag for "quick" followup "close" shots only.

If I shoot anything longer than 500yds I don't plan on missing so I really don't care if I had another round in the mag or not. But if you are strictly going to use VLD boolits and load them long then I would go with a long action. Your selection of stocks would be limited though. Something to think about.

bluealtered
12-10-2010, 08:53 AM
My current .260 tactical, 24" barrel is a 110 long action. I have found that this rifle simply shoots the best groups however with a col of 2.780, something that will work in a sa. I have tried longer and shorter col's but that works best for this gun. I am putting the pieces together for a .260 sa truck gun and don't think theres going to be any problems using a short action out to 5-600yds, i guess time will tell.

It will come down to what the rifle your building likes in bullets and powder, twist. Savage is coming out with a slew of .260's this coming year and it's a fair guess that they did a little testing before offering them in a sa. blue