PDA

View Full Version : Axis II Precision. 223 seating depth question

Pages : 1 [2]

GrenGuy
08-06-2023, 08:13 AM
Hornady and Federal Brass is famous for being soft. Neither hold up well to multiple or high end reloads. They almost always dent or dis form upon ejection, as charlie b pointed out. Their primer pockets fail soon also. There is a reason Lapua brass is so popular among volume shooters.

The up side to soft brass, at least as the theory goes, it contributes to accuracy on the first firing. It supposedly obtulates (spelling?), sealing the case to the chamber. This is said to be why, or one reason, Federal Gold Medal Match Ammo is known to be so accurate.

I did did say it is a Theory ��

StephenBachiler
08-06-2023, 10:31 AM
This is all great information and thank you for replying...keep it coming. Let me ask for your thoughts on another issue I am having. All my fired brass has a gouge in it about 2/3rds of the way up the case. It looks like a sharp point etched out a bit of brass. It is very small, but visible and you can feel it when you run your fingernail over it. So i broke out the borescope and I believe I found the culprit. A small rough spot in the chamber. It lines up via measurement with the ding on the case. What I think is happening it a slight scratch occurs when chambering and upon firing (and case expansion against chamber wall) it depresses into the case. I cleaned the living you know what out of the bore/chamber and just went and fired some factory rounds to see if the problem was fixed....it was not. So my question is:

How do I solve this problem? I would post pictures but I think I don't have that privilege yet. Obviously this is (i assume going to screw up my reloading if everytime I fire a case it gets damaged.

GrenGuy
08-09-2023, 06:53 PM
Could start with some Flitz on a chamber mop, spun with a drill. If it’s bad enough, it could need a chamber reamer run in. But before I would put much money in a barrel like that, I would replace it with an aftermarket. Good Luck...Good Shooting.