PDA

View Full Version : 110 ultralite 6.5 PRC ammo

micknz
07-27-2023, 02:29 PM
i’m new to this calibre after picking up the above rifle. i’m trying to get a factory round that i can rely on. The two main options available to me in NZ shoot well. Norma Bondstrike grouped well, but the speeds were chronoed at 2740ft/s (200 below the box speed)… has anyone else had this experience with this ammo/proof barrel combo (same barrel length)? Precision hunter seems to also group well, but haven’t put it past a chrono yet…

charlie b
07-27-2023, 09:36 PM
I have frequently found box ammo to be 100fps or more 'off' from box label. Sometimes simply barrel length, other times I think it is differences in temperature or actual barrel dia/condition or chamber dimensions/headspace.

Whynot
07-30-2023, 07:13 PM
I don't know what kind of a chronograph you have.... but I had (have-retired it) a screen type-- and it just wasn't that accurate. Sun conditions/clouds and it would spit out bad info. It's velocities didn't add up to what a ballistics solver and shooting would show.

Add in different barrels- and that higher velocity on the box sells.

BobT
07-31-2023, 06:14 AM
I don't rely too much on chronograph data but instead use the bullet drops to tell me what the gun is doing. I do use a chronograph quite a bit but it's only one of the tools in the box.

Dave Hoback
07-31-2023, 01:18 PM
Good batteries in the Chrono? How was the light? That is really low for 6.5prc. I’ve seen shooters on YouTube chrono’d the Norma Bondstrike at like 2916fps avg. from a 24” barrel.

charlie b
07-31-2023, 08:40 PM
For those reasons, and a few others, I invested in a Labradar a few years ago. Probably best investment I made other than the rifles themselves. The convenience of setting it up at the range tipped the scale from the Oehler 35P. I have been tempted to get the Pressure Trace system as well, but, I just can't justify it to myself :)

micknz
08-06-2023, 03:20 PM
I've got a Labradar as well.. i have a bit of fun getting it to pick up, but realised it was on doppler, not the internal trigger.. will amend and try again.