PDA

View Full Version : Most accurate ammo in .350?

shotar1
07-26-2023, 07:56 AM
I'm looking for my 1 hunting load for deer out to 200yds max. I found good accuracy with the win 145 practice ammo and ok accuracy with their 180gr power point. The hornady 170gr had impressive numbers but poor accuracy. What is working for you in the 18" Axis?

Dave Hoback
07-26-2023, 06:49 PM
The 350 Legend wasn’t made for accuracy, rather for short distance hunting, where straight wall cartridge laws are in place. There aren’t a ton of choices in the cartridge as it stands. I rec. testing several yourself and going with the one that you think is most accurate.

shotar1
07-27-2023, 06:32 AM
Yeah, I guess I'm just used to the extreme accuracy I get from my Axis .223 and .243 with my woodchuck handloads. It might lead me to unrealistic expectations in a deer rifle. Woodchucks are small, deer are large.

charlie b
07-27-2023, 08:42 AM
Good points.

Also, don't know how you hunt, but when I was in NY state most of my shots were standing with no support. I'd practice at that as it isn't the easiest shot to make. Standing supported by a 'tree' or kneeling are good field positions too.

When I get 'tired' of shooting from the bench I stand and shoot at the steel ram target the range has set at 300yd. I have surprised myself by hitting it more times than not.

shotar1
07-27-2023, 10:28 AM
My deer hunting is usually from a tower or ground blind seated. Max distance about 200yds.

Dave Hoback
07-27-2023, 12:48 PM
Yeah, I guess I'm just used to the extreme accuracy I get from my Axis .223 and .243 with my woodchuck handloads. It might lead me to unrealistic expectations in a deer rifle. Woodchucks are small, deer are large.

Shouldn't compare 350 Legend to either of those. Even comparing to 223. By 250-300 yards 223 takes the advantage in energy. Just about all bottleneck cartridges have the advantage over it. Again, the 350 Legend was made for one purpose: to satisfy the ridiculous laws in a few communist States requiring straight wall cartridges. (Because we all know straight wall cartridges are much less dangerous…RIGHT?? LOL!:rolleyes:)

It will be effective to do what you need it to. And put some meat in the freezer! But I would not worry about accuracy. It’s going to be accurate “enough”. I would concentrate more on choosing a decent bullet. Here’s a good video showing some fairly extensive accuracy testing using 350 L.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMrF3xO1n0Y

shotar1
07-28-2023, 04:50 AM
Yes, I've seen the video. His ruger seems to produce good accuracy with most ammo. I'm looking for 2 moa or better off the bag.

I roll with the idea that if I'm as accurate as I can get off the bench, I'm going to be accurate enough from the blind.

tomme boy
07-29-2023, 02:15 AM
According to most internet FB groups the 350L is the most accurate cartridge on earth. 10 shot groups under a 1/4"!!!!

Honestly though. It can be extremally accurate. More than it should be. But you will need to reload. Be careful of some of the factory loads. Right now it seems federal it blowing primer pockets like Win did at first. I have been picking up all kinds of them blown out at several ranges. All were FC headstamp.

Underdog
07-29-2023, 04:29 AM
I played around with a 350 legend Ruger ranch rifle for a while last year and it did the best for me with the Winchester 145 grain ammo and that was 2" at 100 yds. I tried a few other brands of ammo but none could match the 145 grainers. I'm still on the fence with Savages offerings in this round, but would like to test one out.

shotar
10-22-2023, 07:45 AM
I settled on the Hornaday American white tail 170gr. Good performance #s and very good accuracy in my rifle.

godale316
10-23-2023, 08:58 AM
yeah i am from ohio good to know this