PDA

View Full Version : New 6.5 caliber 2011 offerings...

chadster73
12-09-2010, 09:00 PM
Are my eyes deceiving me or is Savage going to offer both 6.5 Creedmore AND .260 Remington? I've always wanted a 6.5 that wasn't a barrel burner.... so maybe this is my chance?
My initial thoughts... on one hand I believe more options for us customers is never a bad thing, but... why isn't offering both redundant?
Aren't both calibers ballistically the same? Right now Hornady only offers brass for the creedmore... and regular .260 isn't bieng made by a whole of companies. Seems like they are offering us Coke or Pespi here ???

Now if Savage has a deal behind the scenes where Winchester or someone was going to offer Creedmore brass, now you're talking!

What are you .260/6.5 Creedmore guys getting velocity wise w/Reloader 17??

memilanuk
12-09-2010, 10:52 PM
Chad,

Same deal here... saw that little news item, and I've been spending a lot of time on my last few days off researching 6.5 Creedmoor data - that and selling odds-n-ends I have collecting dust to help finance the new smoke pole ;)

In theory if you throated the .260 Rem long it should have a capacity advantage over the 6.5 Creedmoor - and then it'd be called a 6.5-08 ;) The .260 Rem kind of gives up much if not all of its advantage because the bullets need to be seated deep into the neck to fit in a short action magazine.

I think the 6.5 Creedmoor got the nod over something like the 6.5x47L probably because Savage has some ties to Hornady - I think all their ammo and components for proof testing, etc. is Hornady. So it kind of makes sense that they'd pick the Creedmoor over the 6.5x47Lapua.

As for the .260 Rem... maybe because its a known quantity? I know looking at the price and limited selection of dies (other than Hornady) in 6.5 Creedmoor, combined with the cost of brass, about turned me off. I keep hearing very good things about the Hornady Match Grade dies, so I think I'll try a set of those. The Hornady factory brass is almost as expensive as Lapua and I keep hearing conflicting stories about how it holds up when you tip the ole powder jug a little extra - supposedly the newer stuff is better in that dept, but people have learned how to form 6.5 CM brass from Lapua (or Winchester) .22-250 & .243 brass, so if you really want to lean on the ol' gas pedal you should be able to.

Just to make things more interesting... rumor has it Lapua will be bringing out .260 Rem brass next year....

I also saw Savage bringing out several new models in 6.5-284... guess they are going 6.5 happy ;)

LRP_Creedmoor
12-18-2010, 01:37 AM
in my 23" brl 260 Rem Im pushing 2840 fps with 140gr Partitions (42grs RL17). Ive chrony'd it in the summer and also in the fall and it seems stable.

Im gonna pick up a 12 LRP, decided to go with the 6.5 Creedmoor. Ive owned four 260's and I love them, however I think this is a good excuse to try something "new" while still knowing what Im gonna be getting into

also my first Savage centerfire!!! ;D

leather5to1
12-18-2010, 01:53 AM
The 6.5 creedmore is a good round, good balance of size and efficiency. It seems inherently accurate also. The 260 can keep up with that also. I just haven't seen the same accuracy results but haven't tried both in enough of guns to be able to tell yet. I'm glad to see savage offering them.

wbm
12-18-2010, 10:01 AM
This is the best I have read on the 6.5 offerings.

http://demigodllc.com/articles/6.5-shootout-260-6.5x47-6.5-creedmoor/

Armed in Utah
12-18-2010, 12:19 PM
Very good reading info.......

I'm adding another 6.5 barrel very soon....have pretty much decided

on the ole 6.5x55.....having 300 pcs new Lapua brass helped sway

my vote...strickly a target/LR rifle...will weigh the usual 17# or so....

will make a nice companion for my heavy 260 AI..... ;D

GaCop
12-20-2010, 07:16 AM
Can't go wrong with the tried and true 6.5 Swede.

hank440
12-20-2010, 10:06 PM
I'm one of the dummies who special ordered 2 model 116 in .260 rem last year and paid extra for the pleasure ;D

chadster73
12-22-2010, 12:56 PM
Since you guys brought up the 6.5 Swede... let's go there for a minute!

I've been comparing the 6.5 Swede to the .260... What I'm wondering is if guys shooting the .260 are now getting 3000'ish f.p.s using Reloader-17 and 140 VLD's... why can't the same be done w/the Swede? Not only that... isn't the case capacity more w/the Swede?
Another thought... you can get both Winchester AND Remmy brass in the Swede and can pay for/get Lapua if you want that too!
If you look @ reloading costs... especially the price of brass... the 6.5X55 is practically the same as the .270 IF you stick with what should be readily available Win or Rem brass. As soon as you start to venture into the "sexier" 6.5's, Creedmore, .260 (we all know about what many consider "shortcomings" w/brass in this caliber) and 6.5X47 Lapua... and most certainly 6.5X284 Norma... seems like the 6.5 Swede may enable one to have thier 6.5 cake and eat it too!

memilanuk
12-22-2010, 03:38 PM
I'm presuming thats as long as that cake doesn't involve being able to feed from the magazine in a short-action receiver... almost every Swede repeater I've seen was on a long action.