PDA

View Full Version : Pillar bedding forends

D. Sanders
07-16-2023, 03:43 PM
I have a couple of forends I'd like to get pillars put in. Anybody know who would do this? I've already asked Tony Gettel & Steve Stratton and both declined.

Mjshell
07-16-2023, 04:03 PM
I used to do my own but have moved away from the pillars. Now I just use glass bedding compound around the forend holes. I use 4 to 5 layers of electrical tape on either side of the holes to free float the barrel, apply a small amount of the bedding compound around the forend holes. Make sure you apply a generous amount of release agent to the barrel and forend screws. Screw the forend down and let it set overnight. Pop the forend loose the next day and remove the tape and you should have a free floated barrel.

BobT
07-16-2023, 09:12 PM
I have a couple of forends I'd like to get pillars put in. Anybody know who would do this? I've already asked Tony Gettel & Steve Stratton and both declined.

I have had good luck with a couple of small rubber "O" rings around the forend screws.

cknight814
07-16-2023, 09:31 PM
All of mine with pillars have came from Tony's. I've read online though, I think on Bellm's page, about DIY on them. Nothing I've ever tried though. Before I started getting the pillar forends I had great success as BobT said with rubber o-rings between the barrel and forend over the screws.

Julesk
07-17-2023, 06:31 PM
I would try using washers " the ones used to rebuild faucets work fine" and you can modify them to your needs, or electric tape before doing anything else just to see if it makes any difference. Before I started using hanger bars I had barrels and factory forends that shot great as is.

Stumpkiller
07-17-2023, 11:21 PM
I did my own.

Not too difficult. Got the pillars off ebaY and used the Brownell's bedding kit for the epoxy. Had to machine the rear post to give clearance for the sear. Dremel and file work. Bedded the floorplate as well while I was at it. Very solid results.

D. Sanders
07-18-2023, 04:38 PM
Found someone. Thanks guys.

Dave Hoback
07-18-2023, 09:54 PM
It’s really not difficult. Guys… I do all this stuff with one arm/hand, one eye… I’m half cripple, half retarded from brain damage from head injury & in pain 24/7. It’s really not difficult. Just need to overcome the fear of doing such & such. Everything I do I learned online & taught myself.

But I wish the best, if you found someone you’re comfortable with and hopefully it’s not costing you an arm & leg. :tea:

HandCanonShootr
08-14-2023, 09:03 PM
While pillar bedding would be my chosen use for a bolt action, for a break action (T/C) a hangerbar a better (for me) solution, with an appropriate forend.
This the solution that Stratton & Bullbery, Pachmeyer (& others) use. As do my T/C based customs.
Stratton has done h-bars for me, used on WSM & WSSM bbls, (VVCG & MGM took back bbls & replaced with non WSM calibers)

As well as my 500S&W VVCG Carbine w/ Stratton Forend conversion. This the only forend/hbar to hold up to repeated 440&600g loads.

YMMV,
pics avail
Mike B

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk