PDA

View Full Version : Savage getting it done.....

Pages : 1 [2] 3

charlie b
10-27-2023, 05:40 PM
That kinda sucks.

We used to stay at the campground at Ft Jackson when we had the RV. I spent most of my time at Ft Knox and White Sands during my time in service.

Visited the Mid-Carolina range once. Considered trying to join until we moved again.

Fuj'
11-05-2023, 06:38 AM
Well, sad to say.....I spent all day Friday at the Mid Carolina Tack Driver range trying to make sense
of this new barrel/tuner combination. Nothing jived. Clean or heavily fouled, nothing would repeat,
and would progress to get worse. I just lost heart, and pulled out of two days of competition, so not
to look like a total Jackass. Time to take a break then rethink for next season......

charlie b
11-05-2023, 05:41 PM
Sorry to hear Fuj.

BobT
11-09-2023, 10:27 AM
Winning the "Tack Driver" would be a dream come true for me. I don't know that I'll ever be able to make it or be competitive if I did but it would be a blast I'm sure.

charlie b
11-10-2023, 09:47 PM
Fuj,

You may have covered it before but why did you settle on 7mm instead of the others. Just curious as I will stick with my 6mm and .30.

Sent from my SM-P613 using Tapatalk

Fuj'
11-11-2023, 07:49 AM
Fuj,

You may have covered it before but why did you settle on 7mm instead of the others. Just curious as I will stick with my 6mm and .30.

Never been a "carbon copy" guy. I shoot what I develop. Biggest problem with the 284/7mm is,
there are no bullets for the short game being made. Sierra had a great one a few years back but
quit making them. I bought out their remaining inventory to keep the ELF going for 2 more years.
I have an order in for Lapua's Scenars to test in my SA284 but probably won't see them for months
to come. And Berger has nothing either or does Nosler. Just long range bullets.

Dave Hoback
11-11-2023, 10:55 AM
Never been a "carbon copy" guy. I shoot what I develop. Biggest problem with the 284/7mm is,
there are no bullets for the short game being made. Sierra had a great one a few years back but
quit making them. I bought out their remaining inventory to keep the ELF going for 2 more years.
I have an order in for Lapua's Scenars to test in my SA284 but probably won't see them for months
to come. And Berger has nothing either or does Nosler. Just long range bullets.

Interesting. Fuj’, what would you call the differences between long rang & short range bullets? I’ve only ever thought of bullets as high BC or not. As a bullet reaches full velocity in the barrel & starts to decelerate the instant it leaves the barrel, what makes a bullet behave better at short range vs long range?

charlie b
11-11-2023, 08:00 PM
That was kinda why I asked the question.

And yeah, going against the grain is something I understand. Trying to shoot tiny groups with cast is one of those things.

Fuj'
11-12-2023, 07:11 AM
Interesting. Fuj’, what would you call the differences between long rang & short range bullets? I’ve only ever thought of bullets as high BC or not. As a bullet reaches full velocity in the barrel & starts to decelerate the instant it leaves the barrel, what makes a bullet behave better at short range vs long range?

Your killin' me here Dave.....LOL Short game. BC is irrelevant. What I mean by that is; as ranges got longer so did
the boat tail bullets with there VLD and hybrid shapes. Shapes changed in the ballistics from a tangent ogive which
is a shorter bullet, to a secant ojive, and the hybrid is a mix of the two. In the same grain weight, a bullet with the
secant ogive will be longer and needing more twist to stabilize. More twist, more barrel torque in the bags. Longer
secant bullets are not as easy to find accurate seating depth as a tangent ogive bullet. A tangent bullet is generally
into the lands for its accuracy......You will find that in the short game, flat base bullets are used. Take a 30 BR with a
112 / 118 flat base bullet. Barrels are generally well under 24 inchs running 17 to 18 twist barrels. They will shoot
in the ones, and is one of the top "Score" rifles, where the 6ppc with its flat based bullets is the top "Group" rifle.
Either way, high BC bullets do not work in 300 yards and under. You'll get you head handed to you.

charlie b
11-12-2023, 09:08 AM
FB bullets have an advantage of a single critical 'edge' in the design. The BT has two 'edges' and a tapered section that all have to be near perfect to match a FB performance out of the muzzle.

The rest is like Fuj said. BC is much less important than perfect fit.

If you shoot like I do you won't see the difference :)

Dave Hoback
11-12-2023, 11:16 AM
How am I Killin’ you? That was unexpected. :disturbed:

I just never paid attention (or seen it paid to by anyone else) that high BC bullets could actually hurt the short game. I found it intriguing and I was curious from your point of view. If I annoy you I’m sorry. I always thought you & I were on good terms. Thank you for explaining the point regardless.

Fuj'
11-13-2023, 07:37 AM
How am I Killin’ you? That was unexpected. :disturbed:

I just never paid attention (or seen it paid to by anyone else) that high BC bullets could actually hurt the short game. I found it intriguing and I was curious from your point of view. If I annoy you I’m sorry. I always thought you & I were on good terms. Thank you for explaining the point regardless.

Nothing was intended or was an annoyance on your part.....

charlie b
12-23-2023, 08:12 AM
Fuj,

Did you ever figure out the new barrel? Just curious.

Have run into a situation where most consistent velocity is not tracking with most consistent accuracy.

Fuj'
12-26-2023, 06:26 AM
Fuj,

Did you ever figure out the new barrel? Just curious.

Have run into a situation where most consistent velocity is not tracking with most consistent accuracy.

I believe I have, and it was not the barrel after all but the tuner attached to it.
I will avoid going into details at this time for certain reasons, but I will say this....
I removed parts that I believe do not belong in a tuner, and reassembled. I am
at a point in my last test that these parts I removed caused varying conditions
at each shot. Nothing was ever consistent or even close to repeatable. So as it
is right now, a new lot of bullets came in that were a year in waiting and I started
from scratch for the 2024 season.....At 100 yards last week, I did a fresh tuner test
moving two numbers at a time. I found a small window that looked promising and
repeated that area with the in between numbers.....I'm back on track !!

charlie b
12-26-2023, 11:40 AM
Congrats! I am thinking about a tuner for one of mine, just not really sure. I really think I need to get a bit better before I complicate things further with one.

Iowa Fox
12-31-2023, 12:24 PM
Thanks for sharing with us. The PTA's make a terrific platform.

Fuj'
12-31-2023, 04:40 PM
Thanks for sharing with us. The PTA's make a terrific platform.

Yes they are !! With a few ongoing mods and load development work,
I'm looking forward to 2024.

charlie b
02-23-2024, 11:03 PM
Fuj, do you ever take reloading gear to a match weekend? Or do you just make sure you load more than enough rounds for the match plus sighters?

The BR guys I knew way back when reloaded after a day or string and used only a few select cases. I just never paid attention to what they used.

Fuj'
02-24-2024, 06:48 AM
Fuj, do you ever take reloading gear to a match weekend? Or do you just make sure you load more than enough rounds for the match plus sighters?

The BR guys I knew way back when reloaded after a day or string and used only a few select cases. I just never paid attention to what they used.

I pretty much load at home what I need. You'll see a lot of gear set up at big match's where
shooters are constantly checking / re-checking seating depths or adding / subtractiing charge
weights in between relay's.....Bottom line is, I love to shoot, and compete, but I don't get anal
about it. Quite a few of the top shooters here in Pa. I shoot with don't load at the match's.

charlie b
02-24-2024, 10:54 AM
Thanks, that's kinda what I thought.