PDA

View Full Version : Savage 99: Savage 99 no drill scope mount

Mik1
06-29-2023, 01:25 PM
Hello from MT, new to this forum. Does anyone know where I might be able to find a Stith scope mount for a Savage Model 1899. I just acquired one in 22 HP and it is way to nice to drill and tap. Thanks for any help.

RCE1
06-29-2023, 02:41 PM
Having played with a few "Golden Age" scope mounts (although admittedly not a Stith) I think my Model 99 .250 Savage will keep the tang sight it came with. It's a nice adjustable Lyman. The early mounts are pretty cool, though. I've had good luck with the Leupold Adjusto Mounts but the Beuhler has me scratching my head.

Big Al1
06-30-2023, 09:46 AM
Thanks for not drilling!! Keep searching on E bay or Gun Broker, they sometimes turn up. There was a guy on the 24 hour campfire forum that makes no drill mounts for Savages from a modern one piece base. Can't remember any more info but do a search on that forum and you may find him.
Found a link hope this helps! Lightfoot’s scope mount - 24hourcampfire (https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/16184866/lightfoot-s-scope-mount)

I have six 1899/99's. One has a Stith and the rest tang sights!!

Model24
07-02-2023, 06:15 PM
I’ll second, “Thanks for not drilling.” Create and save searches on Ebay, Gunbroker, GunsAmerica, Guns.com and wait patiently. Good luck!

BobT
07-03-2023, 10:14 PM
Vintage Gun Scopes has Stith mounts from time to time, Keep an eye out here,

https://www.vintagegunscopes.com/other-mounts/stith-mounts.

Savage 94C
08-06-2023, 10:14 AM
10-4 on the sources previously mentioned, but they don't come without a price. Big Al1's mention of 'Lightfoot' on the Savage Collectors section of the 24-Hour Campfire would be good but Lightfoot retired from his business I believe early spring/late winter. One of the other long-time posters reportedly is taking over the production but so far, no news of any production. I frequent the forum alot.

Once in a while a member who is active on the Savage section will offer one for sale before putting it on the 24-Hour classified for sale section, but they don't last long on either section. Lightfoot's mounts are a great mount, sort of a modern-day Stith and some day if production never resumes or does and ends, the Lightfoot mounts IMO and others will be comparable to the Stith want and need (and price). I have two of em and glad I bought, in fact bought the last one not long before Lightfoot announced his retirement from production.

prdatr
08-06-2023, 07:03 PM
I would love to find an affordable scope mount for a 99. I bought a 99E in 308 from a guy locally about five years ago. He said he also have a scope mount for it and would call me when he found it. I messaged him a few times but he never replied back to me.