PDA

View Full Version : Bullet and primer sealer?

NF1E
06-23-2023, 03:57 PM
Does anyone still use bullet and primer sealer?
Up till about 30 years ago I used the stuff religiously to mark loads for different precision bolt rifles using a color scheme. Haven't used much since but while I was waiting from my powder dispenser to warm up today I did some cleanup. I know dangerous huh. Any how, I came across a bunch of different sealers and if someone has a good reason, I just might start using it again. This was the thin liquid that was applied with a toothpick.

ButterBean556
06-23-2023, 06:12 PM
I never did use it

Stumpkiller
06-23-2023, 09:12 PM
Yes, and no. I shoot Swift bullets and their factory ammo is sealed with Hernon UV sealants. So I looked into their product and did some thinking.

Well, I use Loon UV cured thin and flowing cements in my fly-tying, so when I plan on hunting with reloads in wet conditions I dab the flowing Loon UV cement with a toothpick at the primer edge and case rim and hit it with the UV light (primers first, flash, flip and then necks). No misfires so far . . . but then I can't say it does anything that just a plain untreated cartridge would not. Cheap insurance and peace of mind for two minutes of effort.

charlie b
06-24-2023, 08:44 AM
I can't imagine it would hurt anything, but, the only thing I worry about with my ammo is if it gets too hot in the garage :)

Robinhood
06-24-2023, 08:14 PM
I think using it on the projectile end also, seals the deal.