PDA

View Full Version : What all do I need?

HankG
12-09-2010, 12:09 PM
I am new to hunting rifles and scopes, so I was hoping to get some help from you folks.

I purchased a Savage 110 with accutrigger. It has the attached magazine, synthetic stock, and the front mount screw to the front trigger guard screw measures 5" (not sure if any of that information is required or not).

I purchased a Nikon Prostaff scope that won't be here until the end of the month.

In the mean time, I am using the Simmons scope that came mounted on the rifle as a combo package. I am assuming the base and rings aren't very good, so I would like to buy new ones (unless you say they will work).

Obviously I am not trying to buy the best of the best. I thought the Savage 110 and the Nikon Prostaff were right in my price range, so I am looking to be in that same "class" with the base and rings. I have no idea what fits what, so can I get some suggestions? If not for a particular manufacturer, could you tell me what type of base and rings will fit my rifle and scope? This gun will be used for deer hunting and range time.

gt40
12-10-2010, 01:25 AM
What caliber?

gt40

HankG
12-10-2010, 09:52 AM
It is a .270 Winchester.

HankG
12-10-2010, 11:33 AM
After doing some reading, it appears that some people are having a hard time finding something that fits the Nikon Pro Staff on a Savage 110. Would a one piece rail be my best option to ensure that the scope fits?

davidw
12-10-2010, 02:29 PM
A one piece rail would probably be the easiest way to go. Gives you flexability on ring position as well as eye relief....

Captain Finlander
12-10-2010, 10:56 PM
A one piece Burris or Leupold base would provide the shortest ring spread and the 40mm scope is easily cleared with low rings. There is always the offset front twist in ring if you need it to be shorter yet. One piece bases offer better scope alignment than do any two piece designs but the stock set up is more than adequate.

jam23
12-16-2010, 11:23 PM
.223 110 models, what is nice you can set the front backwards and this will accommodate the shorter scope tube length, Model AA 110
good for 110, 111,112 make sure you use tight lock. I use Blue.

Tim300wsm
12-17-2010, 09:47 AM
if you got the 3-9 you will need the 1 pc rail i work at a gun shop and the savage long action is to big for most scopes using a 2 pc

godale
12-17-2010, 10:32 PM
i think the prostaff is a good selection. use to be a big bushnell fan now i am changing my tune.

HankG
12-19-2010, 07:33 PM
I ended up going with the Redfield Revolution and used the base and rings that came on the rifle. I went to Gander Mountain with the intent of purchasing Leupold mounts and rings, but they only had silver rings in stock. After speaking with a few folks over there, they suggested I stick with what I have for the rest of this year. They didn't think the Weaver base and rings that they had in stock would be any better then what's already on there, and the ones that came on the rifle actually might be made by Weaver anyway. This is a new rifle, so I also had them bore sight the new scope in for me and they didn't charge me a thing for it.