PDA

View Full Version : Model 12 LRPV DBM

Pages : 1 [2]

King Ghidora
12-17-2010, 06:36 PM
As I understand things, there have been 3 levels of the AT for centerfires. There's the regular AT, the target AT, and an AT that is in between the two in terms of how low it will go on trigger pull. They have been putting that middle trigger on some models for quite a while.

The one thing I know for sure is that I don't know anything for sure. I know what I've seen and I've seen some things that have surprised me in recent days. I know that I have a target action on my LRPV single shot model. I also know that according to many the SSS trigger is better than any of the Savage triggers. I almost ordered one for Christmas but I thought it would be nice to have what I wanted by Christmas. Nothing personal against the fine people at SSS. I just know they're backed up. Or I think they are anyway. I'm not going to take a stand about anything for a while. ???

I do know that people on other boards have no respect for Savages because they don't cost enough to suit them apparently. And they swear that the target action isn't even available in a stock rifle Then they banned me for 5 days for saying they were wrong. Ignorance is bliss if you want to play Napolean I guess.

Savage Hunter
12-17-2010, 07:05 PM
Mike, the main reason I ordered this rifle is for varmints and plinking, and some target competition out to 600 m. If I was going to do more serious target shooting, I would have ordered the left port, right bolt, single shot variant, most likely in the 1-7" twist version. I'll get one of the Savage target models in a bigger caliber in a few years for 600-900 m shooting.

LRP_Creedmoor
12-18-2010, 01:33 AM
looking forward to my LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor........should be fun!

King Ghidora
12-19-2010, 05:00 AM
The 1:7 twist is great for longer range shooting but it will hurt you with lighter bullets. Still if long range is what you want then that's the way to go. I've thought about swapping over my left port, right bolt LRPV ever since I bought it but the 1:9 twist should get me out to about 600 yards anyway and that's about as far as I'll ever have a chance to shoot in my area. Too many hills and too many people in the region. It might be possible in a very few places but actually getting to shoot from those places is another matter.

twotwothree
12-19-2010, 02:03 PM
The Savage custom shop will probably make whatever you want, within reason.

Savage Hunter
12-26-2010, 08:43 PM
Just got my new LRPV DBM in .223 on Christmas Eve. After the postman came to the door, I was as giddy as a little school girl. Still am! I can confirm that despite what the 2010 indicates, it does in fact have a Target Accutrigger. It also looks like it has 3 action screws, but maybe it's only 2 action screws and one screw to hold the trigger guard on? Can someone with a DBM variant confirm if this third screw is an action screw or not? Now I just need to get some rings and bases. My scope has a 44mm objective. Should I get low rings, medium rings, or high rings?

King Ghidora
12-30-2010, 06:34 PM
Congrats on your new rifle. I still get giddy over mine every time I look at it. It really is a special rifle as far as I'm concerned. I know it shoots beter than I expected by a big margin. I've done plenty of shooting at 300 yards so I know when I see a rifle shoot a very tight group at that distance that the rifle that did it is special. And the 12 LRPV is special for sure. Obviously there are better rifles around but they generally cost more or require that you have the ability to build one yourself. A rifle that comes from the factory with the ability for me to nail pop cans at a quarter of a mile is a rifle that I'm going to love for a long time.