PDA

View Full Version : Savage Edge (.223) ejection problems

walkerj341
12-09-2010, 01:37 AM
Here is the Basic run down. I just purchased a Savage Edge in .223 caliber I quickly realized in the first 5 rounds through it it was not ejecting spent rounds properly. It seems to have two separate symptoms, it will either drop the cartridge prior to ejecting or it will hold it and attempt to eject it prior to reaching the ejection port. Per Savage I have taken it to a local gunsmith. He has added a stiffer spring to the retaining pin and added a coil to the extractor spring. It ejected unspent shells perfectly at his shop only to bring it home and find out it doesn't eject spent shells just as before. Anyone else having this problem with the Edge? I'm a little more than unhappy that a new gun doesn't work out of the box. Figures it would happen on my first Savage! ::)

Any Help is appreciated!

northlander
12-09-2010, 09:22 AM
If it works at the gunsmiths shop it may be the lot of brass that you are currently using. pick up some range brass and see if that brass is any different in your rifle. There is some brass out there from foreign suppliers as well as US brands that may have head thickness issues. If on the other hand your rifle does this with all brass and it did not do it for the Gunsmith it may be the way you are cycling the bolt.

Jim Briggs
NSS

82boy
12-09-2010, 11:59 AM
Welcome to the site.
Ejection probelms are commom on Savage rifles, and depending on caliber some are more prone to it than others, So it is not just an Edge/Axis problem. If you paid this gunsmith and it is not working I would take it back to him. My guess is this smith is not use to the Savage rifle, because what he did would not fix the problem. The problem lies in tolerances. Some of the bolt heads are bigger than speck, and some brass is smaller than speck. With a combination of both it can amplify the problem. Most times the problems can be fixed with changing out parts. I would first start by placing a larger ball bearing (.140) behind the extractor.
http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,23731.0.html
As mentioned in the post in the FAQs section above, you may need to have a new bolt head made, or a custom extractor made. Sometimes people have gotten new bolt heads and fixed the problem.
On the ejector, I would replace the stronger spring for the factory one. The ejector can be lengthen and this works well with short cases like the PPC and BR when using them in a Savage action. I would also flatten the contact end of the ejector, because with the rounded end the case has the ability to roll off and not eject.
http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,15070.0.html
When lengthening the ejector, a longer Factory rated spring will help, but it is not necessary. I hope this help you out.

Lopedogbrown
02-28-2011, 02:47 PM
In searching the internet for Savage Axis/Edge ejection issues, I stumbled across this thread and thought I would reply to it.

I purchased one of the Savage Axis rifles in .223 in January at Cabela's Dundee, MI, store. I only shot it a few times on the range and had noticed an ejection issue on one occasion. It basically did as you described, and just laid the spent case on top of the magazine rather than flinging it out. I didn't give it much thought at the time and thought perhaps it was due to me not yanking the bolt back hard enough.

This past week, I got to use it extensively during a competition and it cost me dearly. On 3 separate occasions last week I had this very same thing happen, where it would extract the spent brass to a certain point, then drop it inside the receiver resulting in a jam when the bolt was thrust forward. Needless to say, it cost me a competition and I am interested to find if this is a common issue or if it's a fluke with the .223 chambering.

So far, I've only been using the Black Hills match loads with the BH Match brass in the red box, and the Black Hills blue box load with the Lake City brass. The gun shoots great, and I have no other complaints besides the heavy trigger and now this extraction/jam issue. Thank you for posting up about this as I now know I'm not the only one.

JC808
07-10-2011, 05:08 AM
Ok my A-Zoom snap caps have about 50/50 chance of ejecting but when loaded with 150 grain power-point Win (unfired), it ejected just fine. Thoughts?

82boy
07-10-2011, 09:22 AM
Ok my A-Zoom snap caps have about 50/50 chance of ejecting but when loaded with 150 grain power-point Win (unfired), it ejected just fine. Thoughts?

The rims on your a-zoom caps are thiner and softer than a case.

JC808
07-10-2011, 09:49 AM

The rims on your a-zoom caps are thiner and softer than a case.

So does that mean the ejection issues have to do with the type of ammo cycled? Rims that are too small, too soft no good?

jlang11
07-10-2011, 11:34 AM
My A=Zoom snap caps do not eject either. I tossed in a live round and that ejected with no problem. Havent taken it to the range yet to test spent rounds.

82boy
07-10-2011, 04:43 PM
So does that mean the ejection issues have to do with the type of ammo cycled? Rims that are too small, too soft no good?

Yes this can cause most ejection problems, The other problems come from Savages tolerances. Savage farms out a lot of the work on their firearms, and bolt heads is one of them things. For some reason, some bolt heads will be over sized, and that will also cause ejection problems.

JamesD
07-10-2011, 06:07 PM

Savage farms out a lot of the work on their firearms, and bolt heads is one of them things.

Not trying to start a fight just a simple question, how do you know this as a fact? Just a question.

Thanks, james

82boy
07-10-2011, 06:16 PM
Savage farms out a lot of the work on their firearms, and bolt heads is one of them things.

Not trying to start a fight just a simple question, how do you know this as a fact? Just a question.
Thanks, james
[/quote]

James,
This comes from my personal experience with Savage rifles, ( I have had a few in my hands over the years.) and I have a close friend that deals with hundreds of Savage rifles a year, and works closely with the Savage corporation. He has measured them, and has had talks with them, and they have told him, that there is several manufactures of there parts. This is not something that is just made up.

JC808
07-10-2011, 07:01 PM
Thank you for the info 82boy. ;D

HaroldB
08-19-2011, 07:25 PM
I've had my Axis .223 for about 2 weeks now. It always ejects out properly and accurate as any rifle I've shot in 50 years.

BUT, has anyone found a supply of new/spare magazines yet? Every where I've looked on-line says "Back-ordered" - "Out of Stock".