PDA

View Full Version : JohnBV1963

JohnBV1963
05-16-2023, 09:35 AM
Hello to all,

Retired Army, 35 years of service.

I started out shooting Remington, Howa, Weatherby, Winchester, Browning, etc., and a lot of weapons accessible through the military.

After all that, I purchased a Savage tactical rifle, and I have never looked back. While some hate them, the Accu Trigger was a market dominator across the production rifles, and the heavy barrel or varmint line of Savage rifles were outstanding beginning from around the year 2000-2003 timeframe.

Over the years, and shooting many weapons which other people purchased, especially PRS and heavy rifles for various disciplines, I just came to realize that by either careful reloading to fit a rifle, or a minor change such as adding an after market barrel (I have always and continue to shoot Hart barrels), that the Savage rifles will shoot with pretty much anything unless you go to the very high end of custom rifle market. Bergara, others, are making good weapons, Seekins, etc., Tika, but....I have not found something one of those will do that I can't realize with my Savage rifles. For a period of time I owned 9, but whittled the herd down to 4, all 308 Win, either Varmint contour barrels, or their medium heavy tapered barrels. I do own one Christensen Mesa Long Range in 7mm Rem Mag., the first magnum I ever owned and got that in 2019; good rifle. I like Leupold and Zeiss scopes with drop reticles, my game is hunting Whitetail deer so I tailor my shooting and weapons to that end.

Started reloading in 1997 and have never let up.

Hope to learn some things here and have some good conversations.

John

ragsflh
05-17-2023, 08:42 AM
welcome,thanks for your service

Dave Hoback
05-17-2023, 11:58 AM
Howdy John, welcome.

Robinhood
05-20-2023, 11:49 AM
Welcome John. Your assessment of rifles fits my experience.

JohnBV1963
05-22-2023, 10:18 AM
RH, thank you for the input. Sometimes it takes a while for us all to learn to not chase the newest, shiny thing that comes out.

GaCop
05-24-2023, 07:16 AM
Welcome to the group. Thank you for your service.