PDA

View Full Version : Savage Right bolt, left eject

Raydee38
04-14-2023, 07:31 AM
I finally found the Target action that I was looking for but it has a 308 bolt head. I have a few 223 bolt heads but I am guessing that I will need a left hand bolt head since the action is left eject?

If that is the case and I need to buy a new bolt head for 223 would going PTG be a better idea? I see they say they made need to be fit to the receiver, has that been true for the guys that bought one?

Dave Hoback
04-14-2023, 08:25 AM
It’s always possible. But then, even switching to another stock bolt head it’s possible it may not fit. Ya know? I have not heard of a PTG not fitting. My PTG Bolt Head fit fantastically. I will always use them.

MS50
04-14-2023, 08:55 AM
I have two PTG bolt heads. They have worked well for me. I reset the headspace using go/no-go gauges with both. I don't know what fitting the bolthead to the receiver means. I assumed if the bolthead is machined to fit a Savage action, it will.

Robinhood
04-14-2023, 09:08 AM
Agreed. No problem here.

Nor Cal Mikie
04-14-2023, 10:08 AM
Not sure about the "newer" bolt heads but the older ones had a bump on them so they could only be installed one way. Remove the bump and turn it over. No bump? Turn it over so it ejects on the left.

Dave Hoback
04-14-2023, 12:57 PM
Not sure about the "newer" bolt heads but the older ones had a bump on them so they could only be installed one way. Remove the bump and turn it over. No bump? Turn it over so it ejects on the left.

They can be ordered for Right or Left Ejection Port. So it’s moot.

Whynot
04-14-2023, 01:28 PM
They can be ordered for Right or Left Ejection Port. So it’s moot.

I think he's talking about not ordering a new one and just using the bolt head that he already has but turning it over?

Having never tried this- not sure if it would work.... the plunger ejector would move from the bottom corner to the top corner.... so not sure where it would want to throw the brass.

Dave Hoback
04-14-2023, 05:42 PM
Gotchya ;)

Robinhood
04-15-2023, 12:24 AM
I think he's talking about not ordering a new one and just using the bolt head that he already has but turning it over?

Having never tried this- not sure if it would work.... the plunger ejector would move from the bottom corner to the top corner.... so not sure where it would want to throw the brass.

Correct. It would not make it to the ejection port. When you look at a left eject and the right eject side by side the reason is obvious.

Raydee38
04-15-2023, 05:22 AM
I don't use an ejector on any of my Savages, would that make a difference?

Nor Cal Mikie
04-15-2023, 08:58 AM
I pull the ejector rod and springs on all my rigs so the fired case stays on the bolt head till "I" pick it off. Single shot!! :cool:
The extractor holds the case on the bolt head. Never have issues. Can't remember how many times I've swapped bolt heads with no issues.
And the "early" bolts had a bump on their shafts that matched a slot in the bolt body so it could only go in one way.
Grind off the bump and the bolt head turns to where you want it.

Dave Hoback
04-15-2023, 10:08 AM
I don't use an ejector on any of my Savages, would that make a difference?

If you have a newer bolt head and don’t use the ejector it will work fine. The I know people here have complained about their cases not being ejected after taking the bolt apart & it was because they had the bolt heads installed 180 degree out. So the can be installed. If you aren’t concerned with the ejector, go for it.