PDA

View Full Version : Difference in Nightforce Scopes

51Bravo
12-07-2010, 12:56 AM
Hi, I'm looking at buying a 12-42 x 56 Nightforce. I see that they also sell it in a benchrest model. Whats the diference? All I see is a lighted reticle and the parallax adjustment placing. Is that the only difference?

Wood

memilanuk
12-07-2010, 01:37 AM
The Benchrest (BR) series has 1/8 moa clicks with turret caps, and front adjustable objective. The NXS has side-focus parallax adjust with the on-off for the reticle illumination in the side-focus knob (push/pull) but you have to disassemble the cap and tweak a tiny pot to adjust the level. It also has exposed W & E turrets, up until last year only available with 1/4 moa clicks. A few other hi-speed/lo-drag tacticool features are available like zero stop (not sure if its available on the 12-42x) & high-speed turrets are available only on the NXS line.

In my opinion, for pure target shooting the 12-42x BR is a better fit - and it costs quite a bit less (several hundred dollars at least). About the only thing you give up is that there are a few of the reticle choices that aren't available on the BR models - for some reason NF has always made excuses about why with the wonders of CAD and laser-etched reticles they can't make the same reticles available for both.

xr650rRider
12-07-2010, 11:20 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yyTDUY9Nz4

Don - LongRangeSupply
12-07-2010, 01:14 PM
The NXS is also said to be 30% stronger than the Benchrest RE: G - Force rating though both hold up fine on 50 BMG rifles. The NXS is more water tight than the Benchrest too as I recall. They are both excellent scopes and cannot be surpassed without spending more money.

The "glass" on both is supposed to be the same quality but some say the Benchrest optical design has a slight edge over the NXS (Longer optical path?)

I dislike AO focus with a passion so the NXS design appeals to me more. I would like to see 1/8 MOA clicks on the NXS offered as an option but that probably wont' ever happen. Nightforce has gone to a 20 MOA per revolution on the 5.5-22x models and will most likely be using tht on all the full sized NXS models eventually and that setup is 1/4 MOA. 1/4 MOA is too much movement for precision shooting at 1000 yards in my opinion.

memilanuk
12-07-2010, 02:14 PM
I know some people don't like having to reach waaaay up to adjust the front parallax ring from position (more of an issue from prone); I have long arms so it doesn't bother me ;) I do feel that it is easier to precisely adjust the front A/O than the side-focus; YMMV. The BR series has a Euro-style fast-focus eyepiece with a rubber lip and a distinct nub sticking up from the power ring making it very easy to adjust. The NXS does not have a fast focus eyepiece, instead it has the lock-ring style found on many American scopes (where you loosen the lock ring, turn the eyepiece in or out umpteen times, then tighten/lock down the ring again). The problem here, IMO, is that the lock ring is right next to, and of a similar knurling pattern, the scope magnification ring. I've seen people reach up to turn the power up or down and end up turning the lock ring and loosening their eyepiece focus in the middle of a string of fire. Not good, in my book. Another gripe with the NXS series, tied to the last one, is that the magnification ring rotates the whole rear eyepiece. This means your scope caps rotate depending on what magnification you're on and they may or may not be in the way of bolt operation, etc. I like these scopes alot, but this is definitely an aggravation for me.

FWIW, I have two 12-42x BR scopes, one 12-42x NXS hybrid (with 1/8 moa elevation clicks), a 5.5-22x50 NXS and a 3.5-15x50 NXS so I have a decent representative sample to draw from. If I buy another 12-42x, it'll most likely be a BR series - I don't need the extra 'features' of the NXS on that kind of scope. The only reason I have the one 12-42x NXS I do is that the team needed everybody to have the same scopes with the same windage and elevation movements, not because I wanted one.

dcloco
12-08-2010, 11:39 PM
One item not discussed, there is a HUGE difference in adjustability between the NXS (140 moa - please check) versus the BR series.

memilanuk
12-08-2010, 11:53 PM
Thats because there *isn't* a meaningful difference between comparable models. Not sure where you come up with 140 MOA from.

A NXS 3.5-15x50 (or 56)mm has 110 moa elev, ~80moa windage.
A NXS 5.5-22x50 (or 56)mm has ~100moa elev, ~60moa windage.
A 12-42x, whether NXS or BR, has about 40-45moa adjustment range (advertised is 45e/35w for the NXS, 40e/40w for the BR). Having put a metric butt-load of rounds down range from various 12 F/TR & 12 Palma guns... trust me, this is one thing I really wish wasn't so.

Rifleman51
12-09-2010, 03:10 AM
I'm not firmiluar with the models, but I do know that the cheaper one has a rear retical, not a front one.

John K

dcloco
12-09-2010, 11:54 AM
Thats because there *isn't* a meaningful difference between comparable models. Not sure where you come up with 140 MOA from.

A NXS 3.5-15x50 (or 56)mm has 110 moa elev, ~80moa windage.
A NXS 5.5-22x50 (or 56)mm has ~100moa elev, ~60moa windage.
A 12-42x, whether NXS or BR, has about 40-45moa adjustment range (advertised is 45e/35w for the NXS, 40e/40w for the BR). Having put a metric butt-load of rounds down range from various 12 F/TR & 12 Palma guns... trust me, this is one thing I really wish wasn't so.

DOH....had a little Leupold mixed in my gray matter.

memilanuk
12-09-2010, 12:22 PM
I'm not firmiluar with the models, but I do know that the cheaper one has a rear retical, not a front one.

Mmmm... seeing as NF only makes *one* FFP model, and that one fairly recently and a 3.5-15x at that, I'd have to say I disagree.

Slowpoke Slim
12-09-2010, 09:06 PM
My 2 cents would be to get the BR over the NXS. I'm very happy with my BR. I'd take the 1/8 click adjustments over the 1/4 of the NXS any day. There's a significant difference in price to get the "tacticool" NXS, that I just can't justify.

I guess if you're going to be sitting around waiting to be called in to service by a Navy SEAL team, or a special forces outfit (or just like pretending to your shooting buddies that you could be), then get the NXS. I don't really plan on doing any high altitude drops into hostile territory, and Obama 'aint gonna be calling me up to ask me to go take out Bin Laden as a personal favor to him, so the extra "strength" of the NXS is not needed by me.

My BR goes from the safe-to the hardcase-to the range-to the bench-and back. That's it.

I do wish they'd make the BR WITHOUT the lighted reticle. I absolutely do NOT see the point to that at all. I took the battery out of mine before I mounted it, and it's still sitting in the scope box.

I also think they should offer all reticles on all scopes. I don't understand that one either, especially at these price points.

51Bravo
12-10-2010, 12:25 AM
Slowpoke Slim: If I could shake you hand right now I would. I absolutely hate it when people put tacticool accessories on their guns. I really cant see somebody taking there Ruger 10/22 tricked out tacticool into battle.

The only reason i like the NXS is because of the side focus adjustment. But i cant justify the extra $400 so i could be lazy. Plus i want the 1/10 MOA.

Wood

Hammer
12-10-2010, 08:16 PM

Though no variable-power scope will ever match the performance of a good-fixed power scope...

Have to admit to owning several Nightforce scopes of various persuasions.

Like 'em all.

No complaints.

Like others, do not have any use for the lighted reticle.

Now if Nightforce would just make a good fixed-power scope...