PDA

View Full Version : Axis II Rust?

Turkeytider
04-01-2023, 01:23 PM
Has anyone found that they are so prone? I saw a review ( Backfire with Jim Harmer ) in which he couldn`t recommend an Axis, primarily because of rather significant bluing issues resulting in rust. Perhaps better to try stainless?

charlie b
04-01-2023, 03:13 PM
Never had any on mine, but, it doesn't go in the field and has only been sprinkled on a few times. I rarely even wipe it down after shooting. Usually have it out at the range 3 or 4 days a month. 6yrs old now. About 4000 rounds through the original .223 barrel. Another 1000 through the .308 barrel (stainless from a 12BVSS).

prdatr
04-01-2023, 06:17 PM
Has anyone found that they are so prone? I saw a review ( Backfire with Jim Harmer ) in which he couldn`t recommend an Axis, primarily because of rather significant bluing issues resulting in rust. Perhaps better to try stainless?

The Axis line has had the full gambit of issues but I have not heard of rust being one of them.

270winAKsav
04-04-2023, 10:28 AM
Funny you should ask. I just watched that clip on YouTube, searching for axis bolts disassembly. I'll say from watching it once, I get the poor accuracy rants on other firearms but, the rust deal? If that's rust, looks like it's been augmented. The clip felt like more of a used car salesman pitch. But, I just saw it once and that's my opinion.

Tiekmir
04-11-2023, 11:34 PM
Yeah, I saw this too. His glowing review of the Savage Axis as an excellent budget rifle is one of the reasons I bought one. I have never taken it hunting, but plan to this year in eastern Washington, so wet conditions are a possibility.

So what gives? Can any hunters chime in? Anyone have this "rust" issue with a stock carbon steel barrel on an Axis?

wbm
04-12-2023, 09:55 AM
Never had a rust issue with an Axis.

shotar1
07-26-2023, 07:35 AM
Yes, I have had light surface rust on my Axis and my 93r. These rifles get a lot of hunting use in weather. I'm at 63 woodchucks year to date. The solution is fairly simple. A light coat of clenzoil or whatever clp you like removes the rust and prevents new rust. This is not a serious issue.

Now, his comment about the cheap weaver scope that comes with the package is valid. Get something better. I'm partial to burris. Ditch the two piece bases that come with it and get the $12 pic rail from Amazon.

snoeproe
09-23-2023, 08:43 PM
Yes, I have had light surface rust on my Axis and my 93r. These rifles get a lot of hunting use in weather. I'm at 63 woodchucks year to date. The solution is fairly simple. A light coat of clenzoil or whatever clp you like removes the rust and prevents new rust. This is not a serious issue.

Now, his comment about the cheap weaver scope that comes with the package is valid. Get something better. I'm partial to burris. Ditch the two piece bases that come with it and get the $12 pic rail from Amazon.

I swapped to a 4x12 bushnell on my daughters 243 axis. Put the weaver 3x9 onto the sons 22lr Marlin.
I wipe ours down with oil as required. So far so good in regards to rust prevention.

godale316
10-18-2023, 08:22 PM
i have a axis 2and i never seen that.i do how ever always wipe it down.i also wipe everything down every couple months used or not