PDA

View Full Version : Sear replacement and trigger adjustments

piki3e
03-31-2023, 06:33 PM
The bolt release lever broke on the sear on my accutrigger model 10. I have a pre accu trigger sear that I can use from another rifle for the short term, until I locate a replacement. I installed and the trigger pull is much heavier (4.5lbs) What adjustments are required to get it to its previous 2ish pound pull or is it an issue with the sear from the older action?

Thanks

John

Dave Hoback
03-31-2023, 09:26 PM
Sorry.. Adjusting lower likely won’t make it any lower. The problem is your Trigger & Sear mating surfaces have been mated together & lapped one another over time. Your Non-Accutrigger Sear has done the same, but with another trigger. So the surface release angles are likely far off, causing a heavier pull. Basically, instead of sliding against, the surface edges are making contact & acting like a wedge. You can try adjusting the trigger spring screw out more, so the spring is “shorter”, however as said, I doubt it will do much & you’ll likely run into the Sear tripping on bolt closure.

BTW: you can have the broken piece welded back to the Sear assembly.
Adjusting Accutrigger: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTEJb5CQQTg

piki3e
04-01-2023, 01:32 PM
Thanks for the info! I put in a reduced pull spring and it only brought the pull weight down to 3.9 pounds, so I think the sear/trigger interface is the issue.

I am going to have my gunsmith order a new sear. So my next question is, will I have the same issue with a new sear with the pull weight? Will the gunsmith or me still have to adjust the sear/trigger interface or will the new sear fix the issue?

Finally, since I need a new sear anyway, will savage sell my gunsmith the precision sear that will go down much lower pull weight?

Thanks for all the assistance!

John

Dave Hoback
04-01-2023, 06:10 PM
The Accutrigger Sear & a bit of use should bring you back to how it was. Yes, as long as your Gunsmith is Licensed FFL, Savage will sell him anything.

piki3e
04-02-2023, 08:25 PM
Thank you, much appreciated.

big honkin jeep
04-03-2023, 03:33 PM
Oops misread original post. Ive had a couple of the older pre accu press fit ones break and i just spot welded them bac and filed them down.