PDA

View Full Version : 6.5x55 COAL not right

Pages : [1] 2

dillwt
03-25-2023, 08:24 AM
Just got a new shilen 6.5x55 barrel to install on 110 long action. I am beginning to wonder if the throat is cut too short. With hornandy OAL gauge and modified case using speer hot core 140 grain I get a max COAL of 2.987 with the bullet jammed on the lands. Cannot get anywhere near the Max COAL of 3.015. If I want to get 40 thousands off the lands would put me at 2.95. Is this something to be concerned about. Seems like it would reduce powder capacity quite a bit. On the other hand I might be able to use a 1st Gen short action versus a long action and get good accuracy.

Any thoughts?

Blue Avenger
03-25-2023, 08:50 AM
there are some variations of 6.5x55, do you know exactly which reamer was used and when it was made?
easier for you to read then explain all of it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6.5%C3%9755mm_Swedish

pdog06
03-25-2023, 09:13 AM
If you just got the barrel new, sounds like calling Shilen is your best option. If you got it from Northlander or another Vendor they should also have the specs for what they sold you. We can speculate but they should know what they made or sold.

Have you measured that bullet in another 6.5x55 chamber to compare?

dillwt
03-25-2023, 11:40 AM
If you just got the barrel new, sounds like calling Shilen is your best option. If you got it from Northlander or another Vendor they should also have the specs for what they sold you. We can speculate but they should know what they made or sold.
On Shilens website they list 2 options for a 25-06, not counting the AI option.

Have you measured that bullet in another 25-06 chamber to compare?

No, this is my first 6.5x55.

dillwt
03-25-2023, 11:56 AM
there are some variations of 6.5x55, do you know exactly which reamer was used and when it was made?
easier for you to read then explain all of it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6.5%C3%9755mm_Swedish

No, ordered from northlands and specified the 6.5X55 Swedish which is supposedly the SAAMI version. I still cant find any specs for differences in chamber reamers. The only difference I can find between the Swedish, SE and SKAN is the amount of chamber pressure it is rated for.

I think I will find a box of factory ammo and see if it will even chamber

Dave Hoback
03-25-2023, 12:35 PM
I have had a Shilen in 260Rem for a number of years, and it had the same problem. But mine was Shilen direct. I couldn’t even seat bullets to 2.750” COAL, let alone SAAMI 2.800! I came across some others experiencing similar barrels and read that Shilen does a lead in section before the lands. I don’t know… But I ended up throating myself.

pdog06
03-25-2023, 12:48 PM
No, this is my first 6.5x55.

Sorry, I was reading your post but thinking about a 25-06 from talking to a friend at the same time about his, and wrote that instead…lol happens sometimes.
I changed it in my earlier post so I don’t confuse anyone.

dillwt
03-25-2023, 02:08 PM
I have had a Shilen in 260Rem for a number of years, and it had the same problem. But mine was Shilen direct. I couldn’t even seat bullets to 2.750” COAL, let alone SAAMI 2.800! I came across some others experiencing similar barrels and read that Shilen does a lead in section before the lands. I don’t know… But I ended up throating myself.

Interesting may have to visit my local smith.

Fuj'
03-26-2023, 06:17 AM
6.5x55 SAMMI reamer has an extremely long throat. If you have the means, do a chamber
cast and check from there. I do most of my own chambers, and anytime I get a new reamer,
casting is the first thing I do to see what I have.....

Not sure of the CIP numbers for the reamers but these were also long in the throat for use
in the 160gr military bullets of the time.

Dave Hoback
03-26-2023, 07:56 AM
Yeah it’s long throated! Not at look at surplus ammunition. Those bullets were hanging way out there!

https://i.ibb.co/vHRCwrZ/D6-D7-A1-B5-CBB6-4211-ACD2-3912477-B64-B2.jpg (https://imgbb.com/)

dillwt
03-26-2023, 08:27 AM
6.5x55 SAMMI reamer has an extremely long throat. If you have the means, do a chamber
cast and check from there. I do most of my own chambers, and anytime I get a new reamer,
casting is the first thing I do to see what I have.....

Not sure of the CIP numbers for the reamers but these were also long in the throat for use
in the 160gr military bullets of the time.

Only found 3 types of chamber reamers for 6.5x55 SAAMI, CIP and Match. Shilen only lists on chamber for the 6.5x55. I would bet on SAAMI Spec.

dillwt
03-26-2023, 08:29 AM
Yeah it’s long throated! Not at look at surplus ammunition. Those bullets were hanging way out there!

https://i.ibb.co/vHRCwrZ/D6-D7-A1-B5-CBB6-4211-ACD2-3912477-B64-B2.jpg (https://imgbb.com/)

No chance those would fit in my barrel.

PhilC
03-26-2023, 09:36 AM
Since you bought the barrel from Northland I'd give Jim a call and pose your questions.

dillwt
03-27-2023, 08:22 AM
Since you bought the barrel from Northland I'd give Jim a call and pose your questions.

I will check with factory ammo first. If they will not chamber then I will get with Jim.

Just want to eliminate any error on my part.

mattri
03-29-2023, 06:55 AM
Barrel has been installed on receiver, a GO gauge will chamber and a NO Go gauge will not, correct?

Whynot
03-29-2023, 01:23 PM
Just because a cartridge has a OAL of something does not mean that you will be able to load to that.... the bullet shape determines that. You may well have a problem- but long sleek bullets with the ogive further from the tip can obviously be loaded longer than round nose bullets. Not real familiar with the Speer 140- but I'm sure it's not a match bullet. If you look at a reloading manual they give a max OAL for each bullet- you can't just use the same info for them all.

dillwt
03-29-2023, 02:11 PM
Barrel has been installed on receiver, a GO gauge will chamber and a NO Go gauge will not, correct?

Chamber is fine, new factory sized case works great with just a bit of drag, I like to set minimal headspace, No-go arrives Friday. This problem not related to chamber, just throat related to bullet seating depth.

Dave Hoback
03-29-2023, 02:40 PM
Chamber is fine, new factory sized case works great with just a bit of drag, I like to set minimal headspace, No-go arrives Friday. This problem not related to chamber, just throat related to bullet seating depth.

I’ve been reading some since you posted this. If you search, you’ll find others who also were getting measurements of a short throat, using the Hornady OAL Gauge. But when they went to reloading, they just loaded to normal, based on whatever loading manual, and all well with the world.

If your chamber is good, there isn’t really a way the throat can be short for the 6.5x55. The SAAMI throat length is super long! You might want to try loading a few dummy rounds to COAL you wish & chamber them. Let me ask, we’re you actually getting Lands marks on the bullets when testing COAL? Or was the bullet just stopping?

dillwt
03-29-2023, 03:20 PM
Just because a cartridge has a OAL of something does not mean that you will be able to load to that.... the bullet shape determines that. You may well have a problem- but long sleek bullets with the ogive further from the tip can obviously be loaded longer than round nose bullets. Not real familiar with the Speer 140- but I'm sure it's not a match bullet. If you look at a reloading manual they give a max OAL for each bullet- you can't just use the same info for them all.

I know, that's why I want to check factory ammo. If that does not chamber I definitely have a problem. the Speer load data specifies a COAL of 3.00 for that bullet which I would think is not jammed into the lands. The longest I can get with the Hornady OAL gauge and modified case is 2.987 with the bullet jammed into the lands. That indicates I may have a short throat. This is not necessarily a bad thing. Some throats for former military calibers are so long its hard to reach the lands. Bottom line if factory ammo will fit then I should be ok. Factory ammo is designed to fit all chambers that are within spec. If factory ammo will not fit I have a problem.

dillwt
03-29-2023, 03:29 PM
I’ve been reading some since you posted this. If you search, you’ll find others who also were getting measurements of a short throat, using the Hornady OAL Gauge. But when they went to reloading, they just loaded to normal, based on whatever loading manual, and all well with the world.

If your chamber is good, there isn’t really a way the throat can be short for the 6.5x55. The SAAMI throat length is super long! You might want to try loading a few dummy rounds to COAL you wish & chamber them. Let me ask, we’re you actually getting Lands marks on the bullets when testing COAL? Or was the bullet just stopping?

Dave, that's what has me confused. The 6.5x55 is supposed to have a long throat. The bullet is just stopping. I have actually dropped it into the chamber to eliminate a problem with the modified case ensuring that the bullet was into the throat. I am not getting land marks, but I may not be putting enough pressure. I have used a light to inspect for any possible obstructions but I don't see anything obvious. I will check again tonight applying more pressure and maybe a dummy round. Why would the bullet stop before hitting lands?