PDA

View Full Version : New Build After the Storm

jdret
10-09-2009, 01:22 PM
Seems everything I need for my first build is on its way, or soon will be. I started planning it a year ago, but got delayed due to the usual financial hiccups til this last summer. Was finally ready to place an order for a barrel...then the tornado showed up July 30th. Well, to say the least, the last two months have been no fun with being displaced to an apartment, overseeing the house repairs, burning all of my vacation, and dealing with insurance folks. With some luck, we'll be back in the house by the end of October.

Luckily, I have a great wife, who after seeing I was quickly approaching the ragged edge, said I needed to step back from everything for a week or so and decompress a bit. She suggested that I pick back up on my project rifle knowing I was hoping to use it this deer season. She used my own words on me explaining I was working so hard on getting the rest of the family's life back to some resemblence of normalcy, that I had neglected to do the same for myself.

Her timing couldn't have been any better. My first thought was I'll never get a barrel ordered, received and installed in time for the opening of gun season in November. But, as it turns out, a member on here happened to have a shilen 260 tube for sale. Then I found a stock a day or so later. I've already got the Model 10 action. My smith assures me he can have it together in time for our annual Thanksgiving hunt.

Needless to say, I'll have far more than the usual to be thankful for this year, least of which will be this new rifle. Mainly my family's safety, and that of my neighbors, as they were all home when the tornado struck. Somehow, they walked out without a scratch, as did all my neighbors.

Thanks to everyone for the deals on the parts and the shared advice. Pics to come later.

pdog06
10-09-2009, 10:06 PM
Glad to see you are finally getting back to some bit of normalcy, or atleast seeing a light at the end of the tunnel. I'm sure it's been a tough few months. Best wishes on getting the house done.

BobT
10-10-2009, 10:26 AM
I feel your pain! I have never lost too much to a storm, a little wind/hail damage on occasion but I can imagine, we lost pretty much everything we owned in a fire many years ago! Anyway it's good things are going well, I was puzzled by one comment you made though,

" My smith assures me he can have it together in time for our annual Thanksgiving hunt."

Why don't you do it yourself? The tools are simple and inexpensive and even a first timer could have a gun put together from a pile of parts in less than an hour. After you are finished you could sell your tools in the classified section or keep them for the next project.

Just a thought!

Bob

jdret
10-10-2009, 10:52 AM
Thanks, Bob. I agree, but while I'm sure I'm capable of assembling everything with the right tools, I need him to cut the barrel down from 26" to 22" and recrown it for me. Will probably have the barrel bead blasted to a matte finish as well. Not really in the position right now to do it all.

But I'll get there. Since the contractors were coming and going with cement trucks on my neighbor's houses, I had them pour me a 12 X 16 slab in the backyard. I've got the shed built except for wiring, cable, insulation and heat pump installation. When all is said and done, I'll have a nice climate controled place for reloading and tinkering with a couple of other project ideas I've got.

358Hammer
10-10-2009, 01:04 PM
Trying times ! Sure glad its all working out for you.

Went through a house fire some time ago and the only thing that survived was a gun vault full of guns. I know how your feeling.

Neal

BobT
10-10-2009, 01:10 PM
Now I understand. Cutting the barrel off without a lathe would be pretty tricky and a good cronw harder still. It sounds like you are going to have a nice setup in the near future though. Just make sure that you use 200 amp service so you will have plenty of juice for the lathe and mill!

Bob

jdret
10-10-2009, 03:05 PM
Oh yeah, electrician is running plenty of 220 juice to it. Explained to him between the heat pump and welder, I'd need it. Basically I'm building a shorter rifle to use from my smaller shooting houses. Gets kinda tight with even a 24" barrel. Haven't decided on whether I'm going to shorten the barrel to 20" or 22". About the furthest shot I'd make where I hunt is 300 yards. I plan to start with 140gr Gamekings. I'm not that versed in reloading yet, still learning the basics from a buddy of mine with years of experience. He figures with a 20" barrel, the best I can look for is somewhere around 2600fps give or take. I'm also shortening the pull by 3/4" so I'm not reaching for my relief when I'm all layered up when the temps drop....a problem I always have with my Mod 11 270WSM plastic stock. That one will probably get a new stock next year with the short pull.